Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15-ce00xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I installed a Samsung 960 NVME M.2 drive in my new HP Omen, I migrated the OS and Recovery using Samsung Migration tool and everything looks fine in disk partitions.

Set the BIOS to Legacy Boot and went back in to the boot menu and hit F9 and chose my M.2 drive. It gives me the error "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device". I have re -cloned several times with Samsung and Macrium with no luck on getting it to boot.

Am I missing a step or is there something else I should be doing? The laptop is less than a week old so buying windows again to do a fresh install is out of the question (unless there is a way to move my OEM product key) and no restore disk was included in the packaging. I don't have any valuable data on the PC yet if there is a way to re-install the OS to the M.2 I'd be willing to do that as well.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
So after much trial and error finally figured out how to have it default to the M.2 in 9 easy steps:

1. F9 in Startup Menu
2. Boot from UEFI file
3. Search through a ridiculously long file name (looking for "PCI") to find M.2 - PCI needs to be listed twice
4. Click <EFI>
5. Click <Boot>
6. Should only be one option - mine said "bootx64.efi"
7. It will boot one time with the M.2
8. Use DISKPART in CMD to remove all partitions from the old HD or else it will always boot from the original drive (unless you remove it)
9. Presto! Now it will default to the M.2

It was like HP went out of their way to make sure it was as difficult as possible to change a boot device. It was not nearly as time consuming getting my Asus ROC Maximus board to boot from a M.2.

Hopefully this helps anyone who was stuck like I was. Made the machine a completely different beast.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try the following guide

https://tinkertry.com/how-to-boot-win10-from-samsung-950-pro-nvme-on-superserver

You can bypass some steps you've done already.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you, while that guide did not apply to me I was able to get it to load from the M.2 drive instead of selecting the SSD in the Boot menu I selected UEFI and located the SSD by finding "PCI" in the long file name (instead of SATA). A whole lot of steps for something simple, It's like HP does not want people adding a additional drive to the Omen...

HP Recommended

It now boots however due to the fact that I have to go digging in the UEFI boot menu to find the boot file it won't default to the M.2 (I have since wiped the HDD to use as storage) and it defaults to system recovery.

This is getting ridiculous

HP Recommended
So after much trial and error finally figured out how to have it default to the M.2 in 9 easy steps:

1. F9 in Startup Menu
2. Boot from UEFI file
3. Search through a ridiculously long file name (looking for "PCI") to find M.2 - PCI needs to be listed twice
4. Click <EFI>
5. Click <Boot>
6. Should only be one option - mine said "bootx64.efi"
7. It will boot one time with the M.2
8. Use DISKPART in CMD to remove all partitions from the old HD or else it will always boot from the original drive (unless you remove it)
9. Presto! Now it will default to the M.2

It was like HP went out of their way to make sure it was as difficult as possible to change a boot device. It was not nearly as time consuming getting my Asus ROC Maximus board to boot from a M.2.

Hopefully this helps anyone who was stuck like I was. Made the machine a completely different beast.
HP Recommended

This sorta worked for me. I followed all instructions and it boots fine. But the problem is I lost my recovery partition of 12.9gb in the process of wiping the other drive. This computer is just 2weeks old.  Now how do I restore the recovery partition?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.