Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
15-bs157
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to restore my HP laptop but the restore partition seems to be corrupted and I am stuck in a permanent boot loop. Have read all the threads I can find. Legacy mode is off. I can see the drives in the boot options. When the message  operating system boot mode change appears, I cannot type the code into it! I get the "press any key to boot from CD" message but is refuses to boot and just hangs. I know the windows DVD is OK as it boots on other machines. Any idea please?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Are you shure that your optical drive boots into UEFI?

@Pamhad wrote:

, I cannot type the code into it!  

What are you doing? You don't have to type any key or code!

Download the Media Creation Tool from MS and run a clean installation (erase the disk) and everything should be ok.

HP Recommended

That is exactly what I have done/tried to do - I tried a USB drive and a DVD drive but neither will boot. When you change the UEFI boot options you get a message with a code to put in to confirm the changes -  I cannot type anything into that message.

HP Recommended

Try this
Write down a simple password on a piece of paper
go to Security Tab
Set supervisor password
Enter New password
Confirm new password

change settings

back to password settings

enter current password
enter new password (leave it blank!)
confirm new password (leave it blank!)

HP Recommended

It isn't the supervisor password that is the problem - it's a message asking to confirm the BIOS startup changes and the password you need to type is shown on the screen. It just won't let me type anything. Mind you, the change seems to have been accepted as it does try and boot from the CD, it just fails

HP Recommended

@Pamhad wrote:

the password you need to type is shown on the screen. 

It is not a password. If it is a 8or10 digit code it is probably a code to calculate the new accesscode. You have to contact your local HP service

HP Recommended

I can see the passcode OK, just can't type anything (no cursor). I'd love to contact my local HP service but unfortunately those do not seem to exist in the UK (which is where I am...) hence asking here on the offchance 

HP Recommended

There is one in the UK ! Open your eyes!

HP Recommended

When I searched, there were none that supported anything other than printers...

HP Recommended

Ah well, turns out there is a motherboard problem. It would cost more to fix than it cost to buy originally so laptop is officially a brick. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.