Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ZBook
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I accidentally ran System Restore and reverted my Win10 to factory default Win8 that came with the laptop. Once completed, I was trying to run file recovery suites to try and recover lost files that were not backed up. When I got up this morning to continue working with it, the system tries but won't load windows and gets stuck in the BSOD screen. 

Things I have tried that still ended up in BSOD:

-Startup repair 

-Safe mode

-Last Known Good Configuration

-Disable Driver Signature Enforcement

-HP Recovery 

-Win10 boot up drive using usb flash drive but comes up similar error of 0x0000007e but with different RST driver iaStorACV.sys.

-Downloaded the iaStorA.sys file and replaced the old one windows/system32/drivers folder

-C:\, where Windows was installed, had been reformatted thinking it would remove the damaged drivers together with all system files then I can just run system restore again but I still encounter the same BSOD loading Win for HP Recovery.

Any assistance would greatly be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@udongski 

Bluescreen failures (i.e., BSODs) are notoriously difficult to diagnose and to fix -- far beyond what WE typically can do in THIS self-help Community.

You have a couple of different options to chose from ...

--------------------

The first is that of specialized forums where where folks have vast experience troubleshooting, diagnosing, and suggesting repairs for BSODs.

The community Win8 forums has a section devoted to diagnosing BSODs. So, your best bet would be to post your problem there: https://www.eightforums.com/forums/bsod-crashes-and-debugging.30/

--------------------

The second is using free software to examine the logs that BSODs produce. This app is known as bluescreenview and is available from NirSoft, from here: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

You will then have to go online to do searches with that information to get further suggestions about what to do.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi WAWood,

Appreciate the reply. Here's some more additional troubleshooting that I've tried.

Not so much of a Windows version issue but an RST one. If I run HP Recovery to try and revert back to win8, it is unable to load Windows due to BSOD error 0x0000007E and iaStorA.sys

But if I try installing from bootable USB with Windows10, I get the BSOD for iaStorAVC.sys. 

My drive has 4 partitions:

Drive 0 Partition 1: System 1.0GB size

Drive 0 Partition 2: Primary 451.0GB size (reformatted already thru Windows Setup, please see details below)

Drive 0 Partition 3: HP_Recovery 11.8.0GB size

Drive 0 Partition 4: HP_Tools 2.0GB size

I already have tried using a bootable USB w/ Win10 in two scenarios:

Scenario 1:

SATA Device Mode: RAID 

Result in BSOD with Stop Code: PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA 

What Failed: iaStorAVC.sys 

Scenario 2:

SATA Device Mode: AHCI

Windows setup wizard loads, I get to the screen "Where do you want to install Windows?" but unable to select the partition 2 with the error, Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks. Already tried formatting the partition but same error.

So I'm stuck unable to use HP Recovery and a clean install of Win10.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.