Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
15-da0053-wm laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop won't do a restart. Every time I try one, the laptop locks up during the reboot on the HP logo screen, and I have to let the power run down and the battery die, then I can do a cold boot and everything starts up fine. I have tried unplugging all my external peripherals, and disabling fast boot, but nothing helps. This prevents me from installing Windows updates, and the BIOS update that HP downloaded to my machine won't install because it requires a restart to finish the installation- it won't work on a cold boot. Any suggestions? My 15-bs234wm doesn't have this problem (they are both running the same build of Win 10 2004). Any suggestions? I don't want to reinstall Win 10 if I can help it, because of all the programs I would have to reinstall. I am not worried about data or settings- these are all on a separate external hard drive. I have tried doing a Win 10 repair, but that doesn't help, and I am not sure which of the many restore points I have created is the right one to use. I  have heard that there is a way to do a reinstall as if it were an upgrade, similar to the process of migrating from Win 7 to Win 10, that preserves all the installed programs. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@mjw72652

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Press ‘Win + I’ shortcut keys to open Windows Settings app. Click on ‘Update & Security’, then go to the ‘Troubleshoot’ section from the left-side menu. Scroll downwards a bit and click on the ‘Power’ option. Click on ‘Run the Troubleshooter’. It will start detecting the problems and if it founds, go ahead fixing it.

If the issue persists, follow the below steps. Go to the ‘Start’ menu and type ‘Control panel’ then hit the ‘Enter’ key. From the top-right filter, choose ‘Large icons’ and navigate to the ‘Power Options’, Click and open the ‘Power options’. Select the power plan according to your requirement and click on ‘Change plan settings’. Click on ‘Change advanced power settings’. In the power options windows, click on the button ‘Restore plan defaults’. Click on ‘Apply’ and then ‘OK’ button.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@mjw72652

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Press ‘Win + I’ shortcut keys to open Windows Settings app. Click on ‘Update & Security’, then go to the ‘Troubleshoot’ section from the left-side menu. Scroll downwards a bit and click on the ‘Power’ option. Click on ‘Run the Troubleshooter’. It will start detecting the problems and if it founds, go ahead fixing it.

If the issue persists, follow the below steps. Go to the ‘Start’ menu and type ‘Control panel’ then hit the ‘Enter’ key. From the top-right filter, choose ‘Large icons’ and navigate to the ‘Power Options’, Click and open the ‘Power options’. Select the power plan according to your requirement and click on ‘Change plan settings’. Click on ‘Change advanced power settings’. In the power options windows, click on the button ‘Restore plan defaults’. Click on ‘Apply’ and then ‘OK’ button.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unbelievable! I changed my power plan to the HP recommended, and set it to the defaults, and the machine restarted without a problem. I am very grateful for your help.

HP Recommended

I'm glad to hear that and you're most welcome. Do get back to us in the future for further assistance.

Have a nice day!:)

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.