01-06-2020 08:46 AM
Initially when I bought the laptop pc, all is working fine for about 3 weeks. This issue only occuring only in the last 6 days.
Issue as follows : When I power on the pc, first I have to type in the password to access the pc. Example if the password is "abc123", I type in 'abc', then I'm unable to type the numbers '123' after it, sort of jammed. I have to tap on the "num lock" key, then only am able to type the numbers. Is the "num lock" key always getting locked automatically. Previously, no problem. Can type in the password in full and the main screen comes on. After using the pc each time, I close/put down the monitor. Then when I want to use the pc, I put up the monitor/screen, then type in the password to access the main screen. I'm wondering if the reason could be that when I close the pc, when the monitor is put down it presses down the "num lock" key to activate the locking of the "num lock" key. Or another thing to be done is to configure the Settings for the "num lock" key to stop it from locking the numeric keys every time on the keyboard. Much appreciate assistance to rectify this issue. *****
Solved! Go to Solution.
01-08-2020 02:55 PM
Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.
Perform a system restore on the PC
1. Shutdown the computer.
2. Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears.
3. Press F11 once for System Recovery.
4. Choose the Keyboard Layout.
5. Click on Troubleshoot.
6. Go to Recovery Manager and click on System Restore.
7. Choose a Restore point or a Restore date when the computer was working fine.
8. Click on OK to initialize the System Restore.
Alternatively, change the Registry Setting
- Hold the Windows Key then press “R” to bring up the Run dialog box.
- Type “regedit“, then press “Enter“.
- Navigate to the following location in the registry:
- Control Panel
- Change the value of InitialKeyboardIndicators
- Set it to 0 to set NumLock OFF
- Set it to 2 to set NumLock ON
Hope this helps! Keep me posted.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Have a great day!
I am an HP Employee