Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 17-x137cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For various reasons, I began uninstalling a few programs from my computer that I did not need.  After doing so, I restarted my computer.  Now the computer starts up to the "Choose your keyboard layout" screen.  I have tried the following:

- System Recovery: Attempting this failed.  It produced a prompt that stated: "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer"

- System Restore: Attempting this failed. It produced a prompt that stated: "To use System Restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore.  Restart this computer, select an operating system and then select System Restore." I restart the computer but am unable to reach a point where I can select an operating system.

- Start Up Repair: Attempting this failed.  It produced a blue screen that said: "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC"

I do not have Windows 10 on a CD.  The computer came with Windows 10 on it.  I do however have the Windows 10 key written down.

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Package29 

Unfortunately, you have no good options at this point.

You would need to use another PC to download and create Win10 install media -- which you can do from this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

But the problem after that is I would ordinarily recommend you do something known as a Repair-Install, which would overwrite the Windows system files and leave everything else intact -- BUT, you have to do that from INSIDE Windows, and if you can't boot into Windows, that option is not available.

Instead, you would have to BOOT from the Win10 media and do a Clean-Install -- which is going to overwrite all your existing stuff.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for the response @WAWood

I can access all of my folders to make a backup.  Should I do this and then perform a factory reset? 

HP Recommended

@Package29 

Sorry -- I don't understand.  You said you get a Blue Screen when booting -- so HOW are you then getting into Windows to be able to access the drive to copy off files?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I apologize about any confusion.  I most likely explained myself incorrectly.  

Using the HP Recovery Manager, I can select "File Backup" then select "User Selection" then select "Browse" then I can see all of my files on there which I can then back up onto a USB. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.