Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Probook 430 G3
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi HP Support,

I've recently been given a laptop to fix, the hard drive needs replacing, but I need to enter the BIOS and can't as the password is long forgotten.

Is there any chance I can get a hand  resetting the password?

Cheers!

Toby

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

Unfortunately,  business machines such as Probooks or Elitebooks have more stringent security than consumer models - they don't produce 'halt codes', the password cannot be derived from the Serial No. and the code is stored in non-volatile memory so removing the RTC cell will not reset the password in this case.

If you Contact HP Business support they should be able to send you a customised SMC.bin file which you can use at boot to reset the password.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi David,

I contacted HP Business Support via email and they sent me the SMC file, but unfortunately it didn't reset the password.  The laptop picked it up as it displayed the SMC screen, it just never gave me an option to reset the BIOS password.

I was just posting on here hoping that someone might have an alternative solution. So far HP have just offered me the option to send the laptop to them to replace the motherboard at my expense.

Thanks for your help though!

Cheers,

Toby

HP Recommended

Hi,

Unfortunately I don't believe there are any 3rd party utilities that will work with this model - just on the off chance it may be worth shutting down the notebook, then unplug the ac adapter and remove the battery.  Hold down the power button for 30 seconds.  Plug in the ac adapter ( leave the battery out for the moment ) and try running the smc again.

If I do think of anything further to try, I'll post back to this thread.

Edit:  If you're not actually getting as far as the bios menu when running the smc, try tapping away at f10 continuously as soon as you see the 'SMC Command Handled Successfully' screen.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help David, I've given it a go and I still get SMC command failure. My guess is the clock is no longer set, so would clash with the SMC file. Unfortunately I can't change it as it's in the BIOS...

I'll keep fighting with it today!

Cheers,

Toby

HP Recommended

I'm having the exact same problem. The SMC.bin files doesn't seem to change anything in the BIOS.

Let me know if you solved the problem.

HP Recommended

Hi Lucas,

Unfortunately no, I couldn't get the SMC file to load. I ended up having to set the HDD up in a different PC to install Windows then boot with that drive, it somehow managed to bypass the BIOS lock.

Why did they design the laptop so it's near impossible to remove the BIOS battery? It makes no sense.

Now half the keys on the keyboard have died...Not impressed with HP on this issue...

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.

I couldn't load the SMC too. I found out with the regedit tool in Windows,  in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System that the SystemBiosDate has a value of 06/05/15.

For me, that might be the cause of a not working SMC file.

I guess removing the BIOS battery wouldn't make any difference?!

You can buy a new keyboard on ebay to fix the dead keys.

HP Recommended

Hi Lucas,

I had a new SMC file reissued and it worked? Maybe try again with a new one. I did nothing different, same USB key, same port, same file naming, etc...

Yep going to have to order a new keyboard, was hoping it was a driver/BIOS issue but after a few tests it's definitely a hardware issue.

Did you try your SMC file asap when you received it? 

HP Recommended

That is really nice for you. 

I tried already 4 SMC.bin files. I just copy them to a FAT32 usb stick and I start my laptop holding the windows and arrow keys, but after a long black screen it will just boot as normally and the BIOS password is still there. 

Should there be a message if you did everything right?

I always try the SMC file within a day. So I don't think they are already expired at that moment.

At least it gives me hope that it is not totally impossible to remove the password.

Good luck with the keyboard replacement.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.