Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ProBook G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just changed my active partition from the "system" partition to drive C. Will it cause any issues?

Once I was asked by BIOS to restore the MBR, I chose option 2 and overwrote HDD MBR with the backup MBR and now the Windows is working properly. Is it dangerous to change the active partition from the "System" partition? Why is it marked as (Disk 0, Partition 2)? Is it possible to use the space in this partition?

P.S. The original OS on my laptop was DOS.Community Question.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Eliza2020 

For MS Windows, the "active" partition MUST be the one that contains the Windows boot loader files -- and on OEM PCs, this is generally something known as System Reserved, as on those PCs, the OS partition usually does not contain the boot loader files.

Those files are in a hidden "boot" folder.

If you change your active partition to something else, unless the boot loader files are ALSO on that partition, MS Windows will no longer boot.

You shouldn't be messing around with partition properties unless you know what you are doing.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Eliza2020 

For MS Windows, the "active" partition MUST be the one that contains the Windows boot loader files -- and on OEM PCs, this is generally something known as System Reserved, as on those PCs, the OS partition usually does not contain the boot loader files.

Those files are in a hidden "boot" folder.

If you change your active partition to something else, unless the boot loader files are ALSO on that partition, MS Windows will no longer boot.

You shouldn't be messing around with partition properties unless you know what you are doing.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.