Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 14
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have misplaced the boot/admin password for my 2 year old Pavilion 14 laptop. I am told the only way to reset it is to remove the CMOS battery. On opening the laptop I am looking for the shiny round battery (sorry I am old school). Can't see it, has it been replaced with something new or is it under something else? Help please, urgent!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@BernieBod 

You were told INCORRECTLY -- as removing the CMOS battery on a laptop does NOTHING.  That only works on desktops.

Passwords simply can NOT be recovered; instead, they have to be reset.

We are not permitted to assist in resetting passwords because HP considers that a violation of customer privacy. HP can assist in resetting passwords but if your original warranty has expired, they will charge you for the assistance.

--------------------
For Admin password resets, you have to contact your regional HP Customer Support location directly for assistance.
https://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html
--------------------
For BIOS or power-on password resets, because the password is encoded onto a chip on the motherboard, replacement of that motherboard is required. For more information, read this HP thread: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06368824.

If you are not prepared to spend the money to get HP to replace the motherboard, you would have to take the PC to a local repair facility to see if they can do it for you -- we can not assist in that in any way.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello WAWood, thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate your input. At least it will stop me lifting everything on the Motherboard in an attempt to find it, however, I find it difficult to believe that HP or associates cannot give an answer to this issue. I hardly believe I am the first idiot to forget the BIOS/Boot password. What do HP suggest? Throw it away and buy a new one? If so, I guarantee it won't be a HP.

Thanks anyway WAWood, I do appreciate the response.

Berniebod

HP Recommended

@BernieBod 

Actually, you're not -- the first person to forget a BIOS password. 

But, that password is encoded into the firmware of the motherboard and to change that, you need special equipment.  It's not anything like booting from a password reset USB stick and using that.  So, since customers do NOT have chip BURNING equipment, HP's decision is to replace the motherboard with a different one that does NOT have the password encoded into it.

That's why no one from here can help you on this.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.