Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Notebook 15
Microsoft Windows Server 2016

Hey guys, so my laptop was in a black screen loop and i tried everything, like tinkering with BIOS and trying to hard reset it, and it didn't work. I took out the hard drive wanting to try and get all my info out before actually wiping the whole pc or doing anything to crazy with it that might erase anything. So now I just need to know the plug size and how i can plug it in and retrieve info. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I would buy a SATA to USB cable, plug one end into the 2.5" hard drive and the other end into a working PC's USB port, and see if you can read/copy the data to the PC you plugged the drive into.

Something like this...

Amazon.com: USB 3.0 SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable, SATA to USB Adapter Cable for 2.5 inch SSD & ...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

I would buy a SATA to USB cable, plug one end into the 2.5" hard drive and the other end into a working PC's USB port, and see if you can read/copy the data to the PC you plugged the drive into.

Something like this...

Amazon.com: USB 3.0 SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable, SATA to USB Adapter Cable for 2.5 inch SSD & ...

HP Recommended

I like the previous idea to use an adapter. An alternative might be a second PC on the same network, running Rsat to remote manage your PC that is running Server 2016. But the permissions have to be arranged between two healthy machines first.

Or boot to a Trinity Recue live usb drive. What a great set of built in tools it has, and is free to use.

HP Recommended

Thanks! I was looking for one. Just needed a check-up before getting it.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.