Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 - 13-u135tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

While on Battery-power, my laptop shuts down below 10%.. Say around 8% or so (& time-remain shows 55-56 minutes ).. Then, Why it doesn't waits until 1% or 0% like how it is.. in other laptops??

What should I do? 

Regards

Praveen Changlani

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

This is a default level.  If you go into Control Panel / Hardware and Sound / Power Options / Edit Plan Settings and then click on "Change advanced power settings" you can edit this percentage.  

Look at the list of items and scroll to the bottom where you will see Battery.

In the Battery section you can edit the default settings for the following:

Critical battery action

Low battery level

Critical battery level

Low battery notification

low battery action

Reserve batter level

The low battery level is normally set to 10%.  You can edit this amount and use a lower percentage.  

Keep in mind that if you lower the percentages for the any of these items your system will run until the new numbers are reached and you might lose any unsaved data if you system shuts down prior to saving you work.  

Be very careful if you edit and lower any of these percentages.

Joel

I am an HP Employee.

If you like my post, click the thumbs up.
HP Recommended

Hi Joel,

Thanks for your reply. It helped me.

But your following quote:

"Keep in mind that if you lower the percentages for the any of these items your system will run until the new numbers are reached and you might lose any unsaved data if you system shuts down prior to saving you work.  

Be very careful if you edit and lower any of these percentages."

~ So all I want to know that, if I reduce and set my Lower Battery Levels at 5%. Will that make any difference to the overall working of my laptop??

Regards

Praveen Changlani

HP Recommended

Nope. 

Lowering the battery percentage levels will allow you to continue to work until your battery reaches the new percentage level.  At that point Windows will "try" and shutdown so that you battery does not completely drain to 0%.  Just keep an eye on your battery level and save frequently.  When Windows attempts to shutdown it is not always a "clean" shutdown and I would hate that you might lose any unsaved data.

One last thing.  Here is a link on our Support Site that gives some good tips of how to improve battery performance.  Very good information can be found here.  Give it a look.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01297640

I hope you enjoy your HP notebook.

Joel

I am an HP Employee.

HP Recommended

Hi Joel,

Now I am facing another issue:

On the HP recommended browser-> 'Microsoft Edge', while writing an email, the cursor cannot be used to "Select" anything nor it can be moved in the middle of my writings?? I double checked-> its working fine on the other browsers and notepad, MS Word etc.  May I know why this issue?? Instead of using the Trackpad *I HAD TO* use the right & left and top & bottom arrow buttons to make any changes or edit my words written.

I also called the HP Technical Support with a case ID: 5001188498 (dated 24/06/2017), but wasn't convinced with the 'ifs' and 'buts' troubleshooting methods which seemed more like a trial & error methods. I am extremely hesitant to 'try out' any such procedures on my brand new HP laptop, which is running fine with my other browsers like Chrome etc. The technical person told me to start with 'uninstalling' the "ELAN Clickpad' from the 'Mice and other Pointer devices' on the Device-Manager (Screenshot attached). But did not give me a 'surety' that the above will work-out certainly. He added that we might have to keep trying out until the 'System Recovery' also or may be further to 'System Restore' etc. which I do not want to try at all. Not very convinced with this. I would need a senior / topmost HP Tech-person, then.

So please help!!

Regards

Praveen Changlani

Screenshot (11).png

HP Recommended
Sorry to hear of you Microsoft Edge issue. Unfortunately I don't have much experience using Edge. I tend to prefer traditional IE or Chrome. I will defer to our Technical Support folks or I suggest looking on the Microsoft Windows 10 forums.

Joel
I am an HP Employee.

HP Recommended

Hello!~

I've attempted to change the critical battery level to something less than 5%, but it will automatically change back to 5%, and under 'Critical Battery Action' there is no 'Do nothing' option.  Is there anyway I can fix this so my computer does nothing until it hit's 0-1%?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.