Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
OMEN 16.1 inch Gaming Laptop PC 16-c0000 (343L4AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

I'm still having issues with the trackpad on the laptop which has been there since day 1 (and I'm on the second new laptop), so decided to check for updates. It never suggested a BIOS update but the date for the most recent one is from September, more that four months since me getting the second laptop, so I downloaded it (v. F.17). I rebooted and went into the BIOS to check which version I had and it was F.11, so the update utility doesn't even identify when BIOS updates are available.

Anyway, after I ran the update and it went through its sequence of power downs and reboots it finally came up to the initial screen. I clicked on the screen and got a message saying that changes to my security had taken place and my PIN was no longer valid. I then had to go through the Microsoft login procedure and email verification before I could enter a new PIN.

Why is this happening with a BIOS update and why isn't it mentioned in the BIOS update instructions?

As for it possibly resolving my trackpad issue where 2/3 of the left side becomes sluggish and then responsive, as well as the left button being totally dead, the answer is still the same, the trackpad is useless, with the only temporary solution being to hit Fn+F11 to disable and then reenable the trackpad, which gives you a few more minutes before it goes haywire again... and yet despite lots of people having the issue, HP don't seem to willing to even acknowledge the problem, let alone fixing it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Came across the answer to this on another forum. It has to do with TPM in the BIOS and because I'm using a PIN to signin to Windows, as opposed to the old fashioned password.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Came across the answer to this on another forum. It has to do with TPM in the BIOS and because I'm using a PIN to signin to Windows, as opposed to the old fashioned password.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.