Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ZBook Firefly 14 G8 Mobile Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We have received the two new HP laptops:

HP ZBook Firefly 14 G8 Mobile Workstation.
HP EliteBook x360 1040 G8 Laptop
As usual I used the latest .iso file (German, Windows 10 enterprise version 2004) from our company to install windows.
Normally we transfer iso file to a USB stick with Rufus, but since the newer Windows versions are getting larger than 4GB, there is only the NFTS formatting option instead of FAT32:

rufus.png

So I did it that way then, but when booting from the USB stick this error message came up:

fehlermeldung.jpg

These new laptops do not have the legacy option.
https://support.hp.com/ch-de/document/c04902035#:~:text=Startmen%C3%BC%20ge%C3%B6ffnet%20wird.-,W%C3...
I turned off Secure Boot as usual for the installation:

secureboot.jpg

But it didn't work..

After that I tried with the older .iso file (Windows version 1903, German), where the FAT32 formatting still worked.
Then the installation worked fine and I updated the Windows version manually..

But this should not be the solution in the future...
What solutions do you recommend and why did this error occur?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Ge93Ro 

First off, for current Windows versions, you need to be using 8GB USB sticks, not 4GB.  I have not had a Windows ISO fit on a 4GB stick in a long time.

Second, from the error message, it looks like you need a Windows installer USB formatted for UEFI installation, and my guess is you did not do that in RUFUS.  Most modern HP PCs come preconfigured with UEFI, not BIOS, and you need to have the proper install media for them.

Third, sorry about this, but HP only supports the OS that comes preloaded on the PCs. If you replace that with something else, which is what you are doing, then we do not provide support for the other OS versions.  Since this is Enterprise, you need to contact your IT organization and get THEIR support for this.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Ge93Ro 

First off, for current Windows versions, you need to be using 8GB USB sticks, not 4GB.  I have not had a Windows ISO fit on a 4GB stick in a long time.

Second, from the error message, it looks like you need a Windows installer USB formatted for UEFI installation, and my guess is you did not do that in RUFUS.  Most modern HP PCs come preconfigured with UEFI, not BIOS, and you need to have the proper install media for them.

Third, sorry about this, but HP only supports the OS that comes preloaded on the PCs. If you replace that with something else, which is what you are doing, then we do not provide support for the other OS versions.  Since this is Enterprise, you need to contact your IT organization and get THEIR support for this.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your feedback.

I used a 64GB USB stick, this should be fine. 🙂

OK I'll try to do this next time.

If it's still not working, I'll get in contact with our IT department.

HP Recommended

@Ge93Ro 

Sorry, I misunderstood what you wrote.  I saw the 4GB and thought that was the USB size, but in rereading it, I know realize3 that was the FAT filesystem limit on file sizes.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.