Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hello all,

I created a bootable USB of Windows 10 ( and I want to install windows 10 64 bit on this laptop.

But when I tried installing, I got the below error. Pls, let me know how can I install this successfully.

Stop code system thread exception not handled

[content removed]

When I tried installing windows 7, I was able to install it successfully but for windows 10 I am getting this blue screen. Pls let me know how can I install windows 10

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

W8.1 and W10 are not supported operating systems for your PC, which is why there are no drivers for those operating systems.

W8.1 should have automatically installed the wifi and graphics drivers and if not, you can try manually installing the graphics driver I posted earlier.

There is a W8.1 wifi driver for the Broadcom card...

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66001-66500/sp66495.exe

For the audio, SD card reader, and ethernet adapters, you can use the W8.1 drivers directly from the Realtek site.

Audio:  Select the Windows 64 bit driver.

PC Audio Codecs > High Definition Audio Codecs Software - REALTEK

Ethernet:

Download, unzip and run the setup application from the W8.1 driver from the link below.

Realtek PCIe FE / GBE / 2.5G / Gaming Ethernet Family Controller Software - REALTEK

SD card reader:  Download, unzip and run the setup application from the 1st file listed at the link below...

Card Reader Solutions > Card Reader Controllers Software - REALTEK

After you get all the drivers installed and there are no devices with ! marks in the device manager, you may want to consider trying the free upgrade again to W10 by clicking on the blue Update Now button on the Media creation tool website.

Maybe W10 will like upgrading from W8.1 with newer drivers installed then it did with W7.

That will save you having to take apart the notebook to upgrade the processor if it works.

Anything else you will have to use the W7 drivers.

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40
HP Recommended

Hi:

I would try the free upgrade from W7 to W10 rather than trying to clean install W10.

Click on the blue Update Now button at the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

This link explains why you can still get the free upgrade to W10...

Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade | ZDNet

HP Recommended

Hello Paul,

I will try a free upgrade to windows 10 from 7 but before that can you pls post the link to the windows 7 iso image that came as a factory install for my Compaq Presario cq42 series pls? Below are the details of my laptop.

Product description: Compaq Presario CQ42-450TU Notebook PC
Product number: LD956PA

Thank you.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You can download the W7 64 bit Home Premium ISO file from the link below-- toward the bottom of the page.

Windows 7 Home Premium Free Download ISO 32 Bit 64 Bit (getintopc.com)

Use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below that you will need to transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so that it is bootable.

HP Recommended

Ok Paul,

I cannot locate the key for windows 7, will I need a key to install this windows or will the system automatically take it?

HP Recommended

You will need a product key

It should have been visible on the underside of the case, and in some notebook's it is in the cavity when you remove the battery.

If you have no product key, you would have to pay for W7 recovery media if it is available for your specific model notebook.

W10 will not activate from an in-place upgrade from W7 if W7 is not activated.

HP Recommended

Hello Paul,

I got you, I removed the battery and checked in the battery cavity. I can see all the details such as product #, serial# Model, etc but no details on any key. Before I buy windows 7 recovery media. I just want to make sure that this laptop already came with windows 7 installed on it, which means the laptop already came with a windows 7 copy, in that case, I can ask HP to give me my windows key correct? If this laptop came with no windows then I have to buy windows 7 recovery media.

Pls, let me know if I understood this right.

Thank you.

Product description: Compaq Presario CQ42-450TU Notebook PC
Product number: LD956PA

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Here is why there is no product key...the notebook came with FreeDOS, which means that the end user has to supply their own Windows OS and key.

Compaq Presario CQ42-450TU Notebook PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

For now I installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit to my laptop and I installed PCI communication driver as you already posted a link for me in the previous thread. But this time another driver is missing. Pls find in below image hardware ID and let me know which driver for this one 

Network Controller driver missing

[content removed]

Also, pls see below I am not able to connect to my home wifi. Thank you

[content removed]

Thank you again!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The reason you can't connect to your home network is because of the missing wifi driver.

You need this one for that ID...

This package contains the Broadcom Wireless LAN Drivers that are required to enable the integrated Broadcom Wireless LAN Adapter in supported notebooks that are running a supported operating system.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp57501-58000/sp57965.exe

You would also need the Bluetooth driver for that model wifi card...

This package contains the Broadcom Bluetooth driver and software for supported models that are running a supported operating system. Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 Driver is required to enable Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 devices and is compatible with Broadcom Bluetooth 3.0 and earlier versions.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp61501-62000/sp61617.exe

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.