Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

I have an HP Pavilion g6 laptop.  It was restarting and booting fine until I upgraded to Windows 8.1.  When I restart the computer, it sometimes gets stuck in a boot loop in the HP logo screen.  Most of the time it doesn't do it, but it does get stuck from time to time in the HP logo screen.  It gets stuck mostly when restarting the computer.  If anyone has had the same problem and/or has a solution,  I would appreciate the help.

Thank you

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi phillibob41,

I understand that you are having a problem with the computer getting stuck in a loop when restarting. I will try my best to help you with this. To better guide you, could you please give me some more information.

1. What is the Model Number of your laptop? LINK: How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?
2. How are you getting out of the loop?

Please let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Thank you,

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

1.  The computer is an HP Pavilion g6 2235-US.

2.  The only way out of the boot loop is to hold down the power button to shut down the computer.  Then, it's typically fine and boots normally.

It's weird, because it only does it 1:10 starts.

I also just disabled hybrid boot, as I heard that may be the culprit to the issue.  I'll keep a watch on it.  Hopefully that resolves the issue.

Thanks

HP Recommended

It just did it again, even after disabling hybrid boot.  I'm getting really frustrated.  I really like this computer, but I'm getting sick of this irritating problem.  It only seems to happen in 1 in 6 starts/restarts.  I would like to hear those solutions you had to offer.  Is there a certain update?   Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi phillibob41,

I am sorry to hear that did not work for you. Did you disable the Hybrid mode in the operating system and in the BIOS? It needs to be done in both places. There is a BIOS update for Windows 8 for your computer, did you update that?

If you have done everything, then you are looking at doing a system restore back to when you upgraded to Windows 8.1 and doing a complete Windows update and then upgrading again. As there is something wrong with the install of the upgrade.

I hope this helps, let me know how it goes.

Thank you,

HP Recommended

How do you disable it from the BIOS?  I didn't do that yet.  I only did it in the computer and not the BIOS.  Where is the BIOS update for 8.1?  What do you recommend I do first?

HP Recommended

Last night I went on with HP tech support and the tech told me that I need to reinstall Windows 8.  That's what I did.  I have given up on Windows 8.1 on this machine.  I don't know what's wrong.  I have installed it twice and have had the same problem where it hangs in the startup intermittently.  I got the 8.1 update from the Windows Store.  I'm not going to upgrade to another version of Windows until there is a proven system.  I'm very disappointed in the end result.  I also had to reinstall my apps.  Probably going to wait until Windows 8.2 comes out and then install that.  It's weird, because my Lenovo never hangs in startup after upgrading to 8.1.  What are your thoughts?

HP Recommended

Hi phillibob41,

In this document for Enable Hibernate / Disable Fast Boot in Windows 8 it explains how to disable the Fast Boot(Hybrid Boot). It does not matter which order that you disable them in.

To disable the Hybrid Boot (Fast Boot) in the BIOS you need to get to the Secure Boot Configuration screen.

Before you can use this menu, a warning appears. If you have Windows 8 installed on your computer, press F10 to continue to the Secure Boot Configuration menu. If you do not have Windows 8 installed, press Esc to cancel.

Figure 25: Secure boot warning

Secure boot warning

Figure 26: Secure Boot Configuration Menu

Secure Boot Configuration menu

You need to disable the Fast Boot (Hybrid Boot).  (Information from HP Desktop PCs - BIOS Settings for the Joshua Motherboard)

I hope this information helps. Let me know how it goes.

Thank you,

HP Recommended

Thanks so much.  If and when I decide to update to Windows 8.1 again on my HP g6, I will keep this post.  For now, I'm paranoid about updating and would just like to leave it for now.  This is my second attept at installing Windows 8.1, and it's also my second time at doing a 'refresh', which brings back Windows 8.  It's bad for the hard drive to keep switching OS's back and forth?  Thanks for your help.  It is greatly appreciated.  I will certainly keep this provided information for future reference.

HP Recommended
Hello I need help with my laptop. So recently I had a problem with it because it is stuck with a hp logo and it keep doing a "bootloop" I don't know what to do please help me!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.