Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 1FS24AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

PC used to boot to desktop in less than 60 seconds. After windows update KB4038788. It would take over ten minutes to get to desktop after logging in by camera. After the camera did facial recognition, the screen would go black and stay black for over 10 minutes before getting to desktop. Was able to repeat the problem several times. Finally was able to get back to normal boot to desktop time by using system restore to remove KB4038788. The question is did this happen to anyone else.  What did they do. What should I do if it happens again because windows will automatically download KB4038788 again

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended
Yes. Many people in other forums are saying:
Search msconfig --> click services --> uncheck App readiness
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. I did that. Then windows update tried to reinstall KB4038788. It did not install the update. Instead got this error. "We couldn't complete the update Undoing changes" So I reenabled app readiness. The windows update installed, now back to 10 minutes to desktop after log in. Is this a microsoft or HP issue. Or does everyone having the problem have to keep disabling then reenabling it every time there is a windows update. This is frustrating because the laptop is only a month old.

HP Recommended
I updated first then changed app readiness. Don't know if the order should make a difference
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. That is what I did, first the windows update, then disabled app readiness. This seems to work good, normal reboot, but this is going to be a pain if we have to do that every time there is a new windows update. I guess all we can do now is wait until we hear something on a permanent fix from HP or microsoft. I wonder if this will also happen on my Dell desktop, I haven't turned it on in over a week, so I know  it doesn't have that kb4038788 update. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

THIS IS A WINDOWS UPDATE ISSUE!!
There are multiple threads today with the same issue.
I have a Spectre x360 and had the issue.

After uninstalling the most recent windows updates, I did the the following:

Do a search on your computer for msconfig.
Open System Configuration
Go to Services tab and disable App Readiness
Reboot your computer.

This worked for me!

HP Recommended

This happened to me as well... After logging in I get a black screen with nothing but a mouse cursor. I rolled back the updates and the problem was resolved.

I followed these instructions to prevent the updates from being reinstalled:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3183922/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-windows-update-from-re...

I had three updates in the push: KB4038788, KB4038806, KB890830. I haven't taken the time to determine which caused the issue, so I excluded them all.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Same problem here!  Spent the whole day on the phone trying to get to the bottom of this.  Microsoft suggested I get a new computer since it is still under warranty or try a clean uninstall of Windows 10!   After 12 hours of getting nowhere, an HP technician figured out that it was the KB4038788 Windows update that caused the problem and uninstalled it.  Any ideas as to how to prevent MS updates from causing problems like this?  I had anticipated a problem and created a restore point, but MS did an in place upgrade of Windows which deleted it.  Very frustrating!!

HP Recommended

I have a 1 week old HP Pavillion.  I encountered the 10 minutes boot after installing KB4038788.  This change to App Readiness solved the problem for me.

HP Recommended

It's amazing that the technicians do not know this fix even at Microsoft.  One technician suggested that this is happening more often with biometric systems, such as touch screen computers.  I have an AIO desktop which is a touch screen. Did anyone have this problem with a PC with a tower?  After uninstalling the bad update we hid it.  Should I still do the app readiness change?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.