Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy m7
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)
I installed windows updates and restarted my laptop. But it just keeps showing Getting Windows Ready. Don't Turn Off Your Computer. After loading the screensaver appears and when I click any button to enter the password, it again starts loading and shows the same message Getting Windows Ready. Don't Turn Off Your Computer. And this keeps on going. I am not able access my laptop due to this problem. Please tell me what to do. Help me.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Abs1306,

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

The problem you see is probably caused due to the Windows update that has been applied (is currently being applied)

Perform SYSTEM RESTORE in an attempt to revert back

1. Please, shutdown the computer using the power button (pressed and hold it for a few seconds until PC powers off)

2. Power the computer back on.

2.1 As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap) before any logo appears. This should open a HP Startup Menu

3. Choose  F11 for System Recovery options.

The computer should boot from it's recovery partition to open you various recovery options. Note, that F11 option will only work if the recovery partition is there (not deleted) and intact. From there, you have prenty of options to choose from. Every HP computer comes with recovery partition present to assist in tough moments.

4. Please, perform "System Restore" first in an attempt to fix the issue. Please, restore back to previous days (restore point) where the issue was not present. Here is more info:

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327545

>> https://www.eightforums.com/threads/system-restore-how-to-do-in-windows-8.4692/

5. After restoring and if you are back in business:

- pause Windows Updates temporary to prevent it from re-downloading this "faulty" update >> go to Control Panel -> Windows Update. Click on "Change settings". Ensure you configure the updates to never check automatically (instead of automatic updates). Avoid manually installing the updates that were just applied soon.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. Provide your feedback/reply.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

It can take quite a long time for the latest Windows 10 1709 update to install.

I would wait.

HP Recommended
Actually I have Windows 8.1 (64 bit). And the message keeps coming but the field where I have to enter password doesn't appear. So, what should be done now?
HP Recommended

Hello @Abs1306,

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

The problem you see is probably caused due to the Windows update that has been applied (is currently being applied)

Perform SYSTEM RESTORE in an attempt to revert back

1. Please, shutdown the computer using the power button (pressed and hold it for a few seconds until PC powers off)

2. Power the computer back on.

2.1 As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap) before any logo appears. This should open a HP Startup Menu

3. Choose  F11 for System Recovery options.

The computer should boot from it's recovery partition to open you various recovery options. Note, that F11 option will only work if the recovery partition is there (not deleted) and intact. From there, you have prenty of options to choose from. Every HP computer comes with recovery partition present to assist in tough moments.

4. Please, perform "System Restore" first in an attempt to fix the issue. Please, restore back to previous days (restore point) where the issue was not present. Here is more info:

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327545

>> https://www.eightforums.com/threads/system-restore-how-to-do-in-windows-8.4692/

5. After restoring and if you are back in business:

- pause Windows Updates temporary to prevent it from re-downloading this "faulty" update >> go to Control Panel -> Windows Update. Click on "Change settings". Ensure you configure the updates to never check automatically (instead of automatic updates). Avoid manually installing the updates that were just applied soon.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. Provide your feedback/reply.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended
Thanks a lot. It worked for me. Took about 35 minutes to restore the system.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.