Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Thanks 4GeekIT, but https://community.amd.com/thread/224760  does not actually point to a valid page.

Also, whilst the AMD video drivers may now work as you say, are you aware that the subject of this thread is actually Virtualisation? (ie the running of virtual machines, software like Docker, which relies on Virtualisation in BIOS and Hyper V). You see, Windows does not boot on the HP Envy X360 when virtualisation is enabled in the BIOS and Hyper V is installed in Control Panel. (most owners are probably unaware of this as they have no interest in running Docker and the HP BIOS recommends the virtualisation feature stays off - I wonder why..? It wouldn't be that it doesn't work, would it?

HP Recommended

I'm attempting to install the same version as you from  https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-18-7-1

1) I assume this URL is correct?

2) I do not understand why it "will fail" or why I need to edit the xml file after running the installer and then run it again a second time. Yes it failed - Error 182 - could not determine the hardware (why is it that AMD's own software doesn't work with its own hardware?)

3) I also do not understand why I should reinstall the video driver if the current AMD drivers are working as you say.

4) Finally you do not specify which driver I should install or where I should get it from.

Update: I ran the installer, edited the xml file, re-ran the installer, it succeeded. Then I enabled virtualisation but unfortunately, once again, Windows would not boot. ( I did not manually reinstall the video driver yet as no one has mentioned which one works with virtualisation. ) I will now go through the process of trying drivers starting from the most recent that PriceRC suggested and see if I have any luck.

Thanks

HP Recommended

:ThumbDown:  :ThumbDown:  :ThumbDown:  :ThumbDown:  :ThumbDown:

Update 3: 

After installing the MIcrosoft driver, there has been  consistent modern Microsoft Blue Screen of Death (video_scheduler_internal_error) when playing youtube videos. So it's a tradeoff: Docker works, but the computer crashes all the time. Coming from 10 years of Apple Macbooks and iMacs which practically never have OS crashes, I have to say the HP Envy X360 running MIcrosoft Windows has been a pretty clear reminder as to why people pay double the price for Apple.

The crashing has gotten to the point where it drives me insane, so I continued to fumble in the dark with other versions of the driver. No solution as of yet. I have tried 15 Drivers now and each one has caused a  video problem or hybernation problem. So I gave up and turned off virtualisation and reinstalled Drivers from HP - There are 5 to choose from - even they don't know which one works - I have no idea because there's no information on whether to choose Kaby Lake, Kaby lake R or Microsoft or which version - the website identifies my machine but cannot tell me which driver I need. It's unbelievable. The computer now crashes as soon as any video is played. There has been absolutely ZERO USEFUL SUPPORT FROM HP.

For me, this computer has wasted 3 months of my time. I have literally spent more time trawling through the forums installing drivers, documenting, testing, researching and chatting to useless support staff who say they will get it working and, after wasting my time they try to send me to another agent who needs to start from the beginning and does exactly the same thing.

My only glimmer of hope has been other users on this and other forums who have tried to help me, and for which I am thankful.

I cannot use this stupid HP Envy to run virtual machines as was intended when I purchased it . Every time I punch the name HP Envy into a search engine, the irony that I'm the one who's envious of my sister's Acer (a 5th of the price) and the rubber feet have not melted off, I'm pretty much envious of anyone who has anything other than a HP. I will be sending the Envy back to HP and requesting a refund. I have had it.

HP Recommended

SmakBabbilyBoom: 

If you simply used the current working drivers instead of the old faulty drivers you wouldn't be having an issue.

Re-read my previous post and use the proper driver.

HP Recommended

4GeekIT, thanks for your help and thanks for fixing the link, I'll read through it and see if it offers any new light.

I just re-read your post about editing the xml files to install the AMD driver. I already followed your instructions and documented the results: Windows still wouldn't boot with Virtualisation.

You did not provide a URL so I searched for "24.20.12019.1010 Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-18.7.1-July19"  and came up with https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-18-7-1 

I asked you if this was correct.

Yeah I would LOVE to install the current working AMD driver. That's what I'm trying to do. If you know where it is please tell me.

Thanks

HP Recommended

SmakBabbilyBoom:  

Editing the .XML file does not install the Video Driver. It simply allows the Radeon Adrenaline Software to install so you can enable FreeSync and Virtual Super Resolution etc.. As stated in my previous post: 

@4GeekIT wrote:

"You just have to force install the "AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8" driver using the usual "Have Disk" method and pointing to the .INF." 

"...it will complete, but will not install the video driver (which will still need to be installed manually)."

Installing drivers manually
  1. Open Start.
  2. Search for Device Manager, click the top result to open the experience.
  3. Expand the category with the hardware you want to update. In our case "Display Adapters"
  4. Right-click the device, and select Update Driver.
  5. Click the Browse my computer for driver software option.
  6. Click the -> Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer button.
  7. Click the Have Disk... button
  8. Click Browse... 
  9. Go to C:\AMD\Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-18.7.1-July19\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF\
  10. Click Open
  11. Click OK
  12. Select AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics
  13. Click Next
  14. Click Yes

@SmakBabbilyBoom wrote:

Also, whilst the AMD video drivers may now work as you say, are you aware that the subject of this thread is actually Virtualisation? 

I am quite aware of the actual issue... apparently, you are not. Please do not insult my intelligence.

I did not provide a link since it is the latest driver and anything newer should also work. So, Yes. The driver you found is the same as mine.

I hope this helps. 

UPDATE:  Adrenalin Edition 18.8.1 released today and so far no issues 

UPDATE 2: got a BSOD "video_scheduler_internal_error" on Driver 18.8.1 an hour or so after resuming from sleep. Reverting to previous Driver 18.7.1

HP Recommended

So I haven't actually been using my Envy as a daily laptop for a while now. After losing a weekend post-Windows 1803, I went and bought another laptop with better (if still not fantastic) support.

But I've had some time off work the last few days, so decided to check out progress since I last tried. The last thing I did with the Envy was a factory reset, so it was still running last October's drivers, with virtualization turned off.

So here's my assessment of the options for a stable environment as at 18 August 2018:

1) Follow the guidelines suggested by @4GeekIT, using the latest Adrenaline drivers from AMD (or some driver identified as stable by other users). Followed completely, this will probably give you a better overall experience, but requires changing a file in the download.

2) Install a 'known good' driver from Microsoft Update catalog. This requires a means to extract the .cab file, and doesn't require changing any files, but may or may not give you the Radeon settings tool.

Depending on your requirements, personality and/or technical confidence you may find one or the other easier to do.

For 1), you can install *just* the video driver without resorting to editing XML files. To install all the tools (recommended), you need to have some confidence in editing an XML file, or have trust in someone else's that you download. While editing an XML file is easy enough, many people are intimidated by the thought. Downloading someone else's is relatively harmless, as long as that's all you download (I don't believe there's any way for someone to add malware to the AMD installer's XML file.)

For 2) The tricky part is identifying a 'known good' driver. Prior to installing the 18.8.1 driver from AMD today, I seemed to be having success with 23.20.826.3072 (dated 2018-06-16), which was running for several days with Hyper-V installed, including waking from sleep/hibernate. I didn't actually run any virtual machines, but I never needed to in order to have the system crash.

Right now, I'm running with Adrenalin 18.8.1. The method I used varied slightly from the original description 1) because I initially skimmed over the instructions, and 2) I added a new entry instead of replacing an one.

I also had some trouble when trying to test this process, because I would uninstall the 'HP' driver, only to have it re-install itself while I was trying to do something else. I ended up turning on flight mode while I went through this process (obviously *after* downloading the software from AMD):

a) Ran the program itself. This starts with a self-extract. I left the default location of "C:\AMD\Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-18.8.1-Aug3", and clicked 'install'. At the 'Accept and Install' prompt, I just clicked the 'X' in the corner to close.

b) in the folder "C:\AMD\Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-18.8.1-Aug3\Bin64", is an app called AMDCleanupUtility. I ran this. It will boot your laptop into Safe Mode, do its thing, and then reboot back into 'normal' mode. I did this to make sure I didn't have any legacy drivers lurking.

c) in device manager, the display should now be "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter". Choose update and browse to
"C:\AMD\WIN10-64BIT-RADEON-SOFTWARE-ADRENALIN-EDITION-18.8.1-AUG3\PACKAGES\DRIVERS\DISPLAY\WT6A_INF". Find "AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics", which should be just before "ASUS ARES2" (if you start typing "ASUS", you should find it a bit quicker). Click "Yes" at the "Update Driver Warning". Reboot when prompted.

If you don't care about the advanced Radeon settings, then you can probably stop here. You have a functional, non-crashing (hopefully) video driver. But to get all the cool things, you really want to install the Radeon settings tools, so you need to edit a file to continue. (If you don't edit the file and run the setup program, you'll get an "UNKNOWN AMD Hardware" error screen).

d) in "C:\AMD\Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-18.8.1-Aug3\Config", edit CIMManifest.xml using Notepad or a good after-market text editor (I use Notepad++) DO NOT use WordPad or any 'fancy' word processor. The file content is 'ugly', but that's no big deal. Find the text "ATI_ASIC_Include" a few lines below this, you will find the text "<row>", followed by "<td>1</td>". In front of that first <row>, insert:

<row>
<td>1000</td>
<td>0x15DD</td>
<td>0x83c6</td>
<td>0x1002</td>
<td>0x103c</td>
<td>HP Envy X360 15-bq1xx</td>
<td>AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Mobile Graphics</td>
<td>0xC4</td>
</row>

(note: I don't think the descriptions are actually important - I can't see them anywhere after the setup has run)

That part of the file should now look like (for Adrenalin 18.8.1)

<table name="ATI_ASIC_Include">
<col key="yes" def="i4">Index</col>
<col def="s10">DEV_ID</col>
<col def="s10">SS_ID</col>
<col def="s10">VEN_ID</col>
<col def="s10">SS_VEN_ID</col>
<col def="s255">EngName</col>
<col def="s255">ProName</col>
<col def="s10">REV_ID</col>
<row>
<td>1000</td>
<td>0x15DD</td>
<td>0x83c6</td>
<td>0x1002</td>
<td>0x103c</td>
<td>HP Envy X360 15-bq1xx</td>
<td>AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Mobile Graphics</td>
<td>0xC4</td>
</row>
<row>
<td>1</td>
<td>0x1309</td>
<td>*</td>
<td>0x1002</td>
<td>*</td>
<td>KV SPECTRE LITE MOBILE 19W (1309)</td>
<td>AMD Radeon(TM) R7 Graphics</td>
<td>*</td>
</row>

e) in "C:\AMD\Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-18.8.1-Aug3", run Setup.EXE. After a few seconds, it should give you "Custom Install" and "Express Install" options. I just picked "Express Install". It will want to reboot when it is finished. Let it do this.

f) a while after logging on (took about a minute on mine), you should get the Radeon settings app show up on the task bar. You can open it up to change the advanced settings for your video card.

(*note that instead of editing Config\CIMManifest.xml, I originally edited Bin64\cccmanifest_64.xml, which has a very similar structure - this is unnecessary and, more importantly, doesn't work!)

regards,

Ryan 

PS: After doing all that, I looked again at the XML file. There is an entry for Vega 8 Graphics (<td>30</td> in 18.8.1) that specifies the revision as C8 (<td>0xC8</td>) I strongly suspect (but am not in the mood to test the process again) that it would be sufficient to change the <td>0xC8</td> in that entry to <td>*</td>.

i.e. :

<row>
<td>30</td>
<td>0x15DD</td>
<td>*</td>
<td>0x1002</td>
<td>*</td>
<td>RV B6 65W AM4 15DD_REV_C8</td>
<td>AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics</td>
<td>0xC8</td>
</row>

could be

<row>
<td>30</td>
<td>0x15DD</td>
<td>*</td>
<td>0x1002</td>
<td>*</td>
<td>RV B6 65W AM4 15DD_REV_C8</td>
<td>AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics</td>
<td>*</td>
</row>

PPS: I see while I've been doing all this, @4GeekIT has reported a problem with 18.8.1. I haven't had it yet, but will report back if/when I do.

HP Recommended

OK, so I didn't get a BSOD, but on coming out of sleep, my screen was flicking about once a second.

So I've reverted back to the Windows catalog version I mentioned earlier. It also installs Radeon settings 17.7 (Crimson).

Since troubleshooting this has now cost me more than double the price of the computer in terms of hours lost, I'm not planning on doing any more experiments until I see an actual Raven Ridge Vega 8 Mobile driver from AMD or HP.

HP Recommended

I had Issues with the Windows catalog drivers when I tried them, but I think I may have used an earlier version as I had to create the driver directory manually. 

The 18.7.1 drivers haven't crashed on me once since I reloaded my sytem two weeks ago... Last night and today (running the 18.8.1 Beta Drivers) are the only two BSODs logged on my system. This is my daily laptop and use it roughly 10+ hrs a day so I can confirm that they are working correctly. I will update here if/when a newer driver works. Sorry for jumping the gun on 18.8.1 as it ran great all day only to BSOD after I got home.

HP Recommended

@4GeekIT

wrote:

Also, whilst the AMD video drivers may now work as you say, are you aware that the subject of this thread is actually Virtualisation? 

I am quite aware of the actual issue... apparently, you are not. Please do not insult my intelligence.

Insulting your intelligence? No, I was just trying to be clear. It is you that is being rude unnecessarily. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.