Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Elitebook x360 1030 g2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When secure boot is enabled I cannot boot from the internal or any external drive, it tries and then displays boot device not found. If secure boot is disabled it boots okay but I need secure boot to be active.

I have tried replicating the setting of another laptop, same model which boots fine but no change.

I have updated to latest bios, reset bios, reset tpm, cleared and reset keys.

Is there anything else I can try?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Further to my previous reply, I have established that it is the internal ssd preventing the system from booting even from a trusted external hd when it is installed. If I take the internal SSD out the external hd will boot in secure mode fine.

So how can I go about getting the laptop to trust the internal ssd again? Boot in legacy from external drive and run some diskpart commands etc?

Edit: Fixed - I used the bios hd utility to secure erase the interal ssd and I can now boot in secure mode from external drive and reload windows onto it. Phew.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@BILBOHP 

Did you or anyone else reinstall Windows onto this laptop?

Asking because HP laptops that come with OEM Windows 10 preloaded come with Secure Boot enabled, and with UEFI boot as well.  So, if you then change to Legacy boot, the PC simply will no longer boot.

Since yours boots in Legacy mode, that means someone reinstalled Windows 10 onto it -- and used Legacy mode in the process.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood

Thanks for your reply. Windows has been installed onto this machine a few times. This started occurring when hp replaced a fan, the hd was taken out and put back in as part of the process but I am taking the internal hd out of the equation as it is an external hard drive that I am trying to boot so I can re-install windows from that, and this same external hard drive boots fine when connected to another, same model laptop with the same secure boot settings, that is what has me stumped.

HP Recommended

Further to my previous reply, I have established that it is the internal ssd preventing the system from booting even from a trusted external hd when it is installed. If I take the internal SSD out the external hd will boot in secure mode fine.

So how can I go about getting the laptop to trust the internal ssd again? Boot in legacy from external drive and run some diskpart commands etc?

Edit: Fixed - I used the bios hd utility to secure erase the interal ssd and I can now boot in secure mode from external drive and reload windows onto it. Phew.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.