Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

HP Elitebook 840 G3.

Trying to Bilocker the laptop with the key on a USB memory stick. When selecting the check option it fails.

De-selecting the check option and the laptop encrypts, the key file is written to the memory stick and the AD record is updated with the details of the encryption and a recovery key.

When the laptop is re-booted it doesn't see the USB memory stick with encryption file. The only way in is to enter the 48 digit recovery key.

I have tried several different memory sticks without success.

I have tried both USB slots without success.

I have upgraded to the latest BIOS without succes.

I have upgarded Firmware and Chipset drivers with out success.

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi All

My colleague (Thanks Michael G) and I have found the solution.

There are a couple of options:

1. In the BIOS settings - Advanced / Boot options     un-tick the fast boot option.

OR

2. In the BIOS settings - Advanced / Boot options    set a delay of 5 seconds.

We think the fastboot option is not giving the USB sub-system  enough time to initialise.

Maybe this could be fed back to the people  who created this system?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi

please follow the below documents to make the neccessary changes to get the issue resolved:

For Vista :
http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=344602&docId=emr_na-c01388090&docLocale=...

for win7 & beyond : 
http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5212927&docId=emr_na-c03438484

let me know if you need further assitance or if the above doesn't help.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi TheHussaini

Unfortunately your reply did not help.

I should point out that we have about 700 laptops on site which have been bitlockered OK. The earlier ones we configured to use a pin, the more recent ones we have configured to use a USB memory stick key. It only appears to be  this G3 model that we are having problems with.

HP Recommended

Hi All

My colleague (Thanks Michael G) and I have found the solution.

There are a couple of options:

1. In the BIOS settings - Advanced / Boot options     un-tick the fast boot option.

OR

2. In the BIOS settings - Advanced / Boot options    set a delay of 5 seconds.

We think the fastboot option is not giving the USB sub-system  enough time to initialise.

Maybe this could be fed back to the people  who created this system?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.