Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
probook 440 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I'm wondering if my Probook 440 G3 (i5-6200U CPU) can work in UEFI-GPT setup ? Curently it's configured in legacy BIOS-MBR setup with Windows10. Though it's working fine, I read that UEFI-GPT has more advantages.

• I've backed up personal data & used Rufus tool to generate bootable Windows10 USB with options: "GPT" partioning, "UEFI (non CSM)" target & "FAT32" file system.
  • once USB booting starts, I will have to delete all previous MBR partitions (3 in my case; system, C & D) and select single unallocated disk chunk & click Next. I think the setup will automatically convert them to GPT.

After rest of the installation, will I able to create D (or more) partition the usual way of disk management ?

Any other settings should I configure other than above steps ?

Grateful for any help.
-Varun

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only major advantage is that you can boot from drives greater than 2 TB.

You will need to go into the BIOS disable legacy mode and enable secure boot in order to install W10 in UEFI mode.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only major advantage is that you can boot from drives greater than 2 TB.

You will need to go into the BIOS disable legacy mode and enable secure boot in order to install W10 in UEFI mode.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your support!
I thought UEFI-GPT also makes booting faster, bootloader more secure & data integrity. But if you think these are not significant for smaller disks, like mine of 500GB, then I would rather stick with the existing mode, because neither I'm an expert in BIOS nor I'm ever going to use large disk/partitions for this computer.
What do you suggest ?

BTW, I see there is no driver listed under UEFI drivers->"3rd party option ROM management". Is it a necessity ?

thanks,
Varun

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Varun.

Yes, booting in UEFI does do those things too.

https://www.howtogeek.com/56958/HTG-EXPLAINS-HOW-UEFI-WILL-REPLACE-THE-BIOS/

Unfortunately I don't know what UEFI drivers->"3rd party option ROM management" means.

I don't have any of my UEFI PC's set up in UEFI-GPT.

They all boot very fast because I have solid state drives in all of my PC's.

Since you have already made the UEFI installer, you may want to give the UEFI setup a try and see if it improves your notebook's boot time.

You can convert your hard drive to GPT during the W10 installation, supposedly very easy.

Watch this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=18&v=f81qKAJUdKc

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.