Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

convert BIOS-MBR to UEFI-GPT

probook 440 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I'm wondering if my Probook 440 G3 (i5-6200U CPU) can work in UEFI-GPT setup ? Curently it's configured in legacy BIOS-MBR setup with Windows10. Though it's working fine, I read that UEFI-GPT has more advantages.

• I've backed up personal data & used Rufus tool to generate bootable Windows10 USB with options: "GPT" partioning, "UEFI (non CSM)" target & "FAT32" file system.
  • once USB booting starts, I will have to delete all previous MBR partitions (3 in my case; system, C & D) and select single unallocated disk chunk & click Next. I think the setup will automatically convert them to GPT.

After rest of the installation, will I able to create D (or more) partition the usual way of disk management ?

Any other settings should I configure other than above steps ?

Grateful for any help.
-Varun

3 REPLIES 3
Level 20
Level 20
112,230 102,407 16,065 24,680
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi:

The only major advantage is that you can boot from drives greater than 2 TB.

You will need to go into the BIOS disable legacy mode and enable secure boot in order to install W10 in UEFI mode.

VarunMasuraha
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your support!
I thought UEFI-GPT also makes booting faster, bootloader more secure & data integrity. But if you think these are not significant for smaller disks, like mine of 500GB, then I would rather stick with the existing mode, because neither I'm an expert in BIOS nor I'm ever going to use large disk/partitions for this computer.
What do you suggest ?

BTW, I see there is no driver listed under UEFI drivers->"3rd party option ROM management". Is it a necessity ?

thanks,
Varun

0 Kudos
Level 20
Level 20
112,230 102,407 16,065 24,680
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

You're very welcome, Varun.

Yes, booting in UEFI does do those things too.

https://www.howtogeek.com/56958/HTG-EXPLAINS-HOW-UEFI-WILL-REPLACE-THE-BIOS/

Unfortunately I don't know what UEFI drivers->"3rd party option ROM management" means.

I don't have any of my UEFI PC's set up in UEFI-GPT.

They all boot very fast because I have solid state drives in all of my PC's.

Since you have already made the UEFI installer, you may want to give the UEFI setup a try and see if it improves your notebook's boot time.

You can convert your hard drive to GPT during the W10 installation, supposedly very easy.

Watch this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=18&v=f81qKAJUdKc

How to Convert MBR to GPT During Windows 10/8/7 Installation. Sometimes, when you are trying to install Windows on your PC, "Windows cannot be installed to t...
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation