Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17-f001dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Aloha:

Pavilion 17-f001dx (Windows 10)

Upon plugging in  the AC Adapter, the laptop power led (White) blinks once, then goes dark.  Pressing the start button, the  Laptop will not boot, and the same LED blinks 3x's. This behaviour applies when the battery is inserted or not.  Also, Hard Reset done with no change.  No other LED (Caps) blinks.  Also verified both sticks of RAM with no errors (used another laptop). 

I could not find any reference to this issue.  i have already read the HP guide "Troubleshooting LED Blink Codes..."  Please note, only LED that blinks is the Power LED.  Caps LED does not blink at all. 

I have also verified the output of the AC Adapter (voltage only). 

The weird thing is this,  every so often when plugging in the laptop, the Power LED will light up (white) and stay lit, then the laptop will boot with no issue.  I have been able to recreate this with the battery inserted or not. 

I am at a loss.  Could the Power Jack be intermittent and cause an issue? 

Mahalo (thank you ) for any assistance! 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Could be an issue with the battery connectors that connect the battery to the motherboard. However try these 2 steps and let me know if it makes a difference.

Step 1:

disconnect all external devices including battery & AC adapter

Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds to discharge any or all static from the PC.

Step 2:

Connect back the battery & AC adapter

press the windows key + B and at the same time press the power button.

This should clear the BIOS (Incase of BIOS issues or interrupted updates)

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.
HP Recommended

Mahalo for taking the time to help me with my issue.

I did do a hard reset (Remove the battery, AC Adapter, Hold the Power Button down...then re-assemble and try to boot but the same issue persists. 

If you recall from my original post.  I am able to boot successfully only when the Power LED (white) stay lit upon inserting the AC Adapter. 

If the LED blinks (Once, white), then shuts off.  the laptop will not boot.  instead the led will blink 3x's when pressing the start button.

I forgot to mention, that I dis-assembled the laptop down to the motherboard so i could remove the charging board (thinking that might be the issue).  I also took the RTC Battery out (at least an hour) to reset the bios. 

with the board connected or not, and the bios reset, the same issue occurs.  Also, i am able (once in a great while) to boot (the power LED remains lit). 

Just to be sure, i did reconnect the board, inserted the battery and attempted to reboot pressing the Windows Key + B and still the same....

What baffles me is I am able to boot...once a in great while...

I think the key is when the AC Adapter Tip is inserted into the Power Jack, what determines whether the LED remains lit or not?   When I am able to boot successfully, the LED remains lit when connecting the AC Adapter.    Please note that the LED stay lit or blinks once before i try starting the laptop. 

Again, Mahalo for your time and assistance...I really appreciate it!

HP Recommended

im currently experiencing the exact same issues with a device in 2019. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. no real logic or reason to it.

I did manage to get the device to charge up, then getting it connected to ac to run system restore.

however during my reinstall, the charger once again disconnected and I haven't been able to get it to charge since then.

HP Recommended

@osmium

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

To ensure this isn't a hardware malfunction, I suggest running an extensive system test will isolate the failure. If the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows app is not available on your computer, download the latest version from the HP Hardware Diagnostics website.
1. In Windows, search for and open the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows app.
2. On the main menu, click System Tests.
3. Click the System Extensive Test tab.
4. Click Run once.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.