Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjm805
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

lock screen on bootup saying "Why do you have this computer? ....

Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

upon boot up a lock screen pops up and says "Why do you have this computer?  This computer should of been recycled by HP!  I had personal files on this computer...LOCKED!!!.  

I thought this was a scam so since the machine was fairly new I reloaded windows with a fresh install...started it up and there it was again.  Did another install and wiped the whole drive...same thing.  Then was thinking it was somewhere else and not on the hard drive.  I reset the bios and the cmos...same result.  I reloaded and did not connect to internet during install...it did not appear but as soon as I connected to Microsoft to download office it popped up again during the download.  

Any ideas of where this is coming from? How do I get rid of it.  It seems like ransomware but there is no number or contact info on the screen pop up.  There is a what looks to be a calculator but its a way to input numbers like a code or password to get of the screen...that's why I was thinking ransomware.

2 REPLIES 2
Level 15
Level 15
18,858 18,800 1,756 4,155
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@mjm805 

You didn't say WHERE you bought this, but my guess -- since this appears to be a USED PC, is that some reseller bought these in bulk from a company that used them and was supposed to recycle them but decided to sell them, instead.

IF this were mine, I would take it back and demand a full refund.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
mjm805
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

yes, from what I was told, it was purchased on ebay from a company (with a great rating) and it was a refurbished machine.  I will let the customer know that is what he should do if there isn't a solution.

thanks

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation