Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp stream notebook PC 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

my hp notebook pc 13 wont start up after the splash screen shows. it doesnt show any error messages. the model number is: 13-c120nr 

i dont know what to do it wont let me do anything and before it did this i factory reset it and since i did this it opens up shows the HP splash screen then the screen turns grey then black and then restarts  help would be much appreciated 

plz help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@jasonisconfused

Thanks for your reply. 🙂

please try this alternate method to boot to the recovery partition:

• Power off the laptop.
  • Power on the laptop and tap the Esc key repeatedly until a menu appears
  • When you are at the menu screen, press the F11 key once. 
  • This should make the laptop boot to the recovery partition. 

If the laptop continues to not go to the recovery partition then it's evident that the recovery partition is corrupt. You could obtain a copy of the recovery media if you haven't created one. Please contact HP phone support to get the recovery media.

Let me know if you have anymore questions. Take care!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@jasonisconfused

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Stream Notebook - 13-c120nr and since the time you perform a factory reset, the laptop does not boot up. Post the HP splash scree the screen turns grey then black and then restarts. 

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Were you facing any issues due to which you performed a factory reset?
  • How did you perform the reset (through the recovery disks or F11 recovery partition)?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Power off the laptop.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the AC adapter.
  • Power ON the laptop.

Please run the hardware tests on the hard drive, memory and a system board tests using the below steps:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Please run the Hard drive test. 
  • Later run the memory test and also a system board test.

If all the tests pass then try performing a system recovery. System recovery deletes all data and installs the factory image on the laptop. Please perform the steps listed under "Recovery when Windows 10 does not start correctly" from this link.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended
Where is system recovery
HP Recommended
All of the tests passed and now we need to know where the system recovery is @MKazi
HP Recommended
Do you do the system recovery from the diagnostic menu or what @MKazi
HP Recommended
We think it is something to do with the bios
HP Recommended
The restore failed its acting like it doesn't have an operating system
HP Recommended
I have an identical laptop and I was wondering if you could boot it on a flash drive
HP Recommended

@jasonisconfused

Thank you for your replies and performing the suggested steps. 

The system recovery ink is this: http://hp.care/2cf8noz. Please perform the steps listed under "Recovery when Windows 10 does not start correctly" 

All the best. Let me know what happens. 

HP Recommended
It won't let us press f11 there is no operating system
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.