Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP envy 15 inch won't boot, the power button is flashing on and off, plus there is ticking sound.

Nothing showing on the screen.

Charger was plugged in and light by the charger is white.

Power light on the other side is blinking.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@dtong

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, MKazi is at your service. 

I understand that you have an HP Envy series laptop. I read that there is a ticking noise from the laptop and the power button light is flashing. Not worry, I'll do my best to help you. 

It could be a noise from the hard drive as it might have failed. But before we conclude the issue I would like to know the following information:

• What is the exact laptop model no? This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l
  • Did any hardware changes or software updates happen on the laptop recently?
  • What was the last thing happening on the laptop before this issue started?

While you respond to that, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Power off the laptop.
  • Remove the battery out. If the battery is integrated and does not have a latch to release it then leave the battery inside the laptop.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and plug the AC adapter.
  • Power ON the laptop.

In case the ticking noise stops then please continue to perform a BIOS rollback.The steps mentioned under "Step 1: Recover the BIOS using a key press combination" from this HP document will help.

If the ticking noise continues then you may reach out to our HP phone support team to check the available service options for your HP laptop. 

Hope this information helps. Feel free to keep me posted. 

All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi MKazi, it's HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j151nr Touchscreen Notebook with i7 4th generation CPU, 16G ram and 1 TB drive, the model was  I purchased it in March 2014. 

I did try the steps you mentioned, but there was totally no response - no ticking noise anymore, just completely no response.
I remembered the charging light was white which means the battery was fully charged.

I switched the battery to the old one which didn't use for a while, the battery charging light became orange.
I charged it for 30 min, press the power button.
This time I saw the dots in circle on screen, but then the fan came on and blowing out hot air and the screen went blank.
Hit F12, the notebook lost power completely, it seems it may have short circuited and the charging light was gone too.

Switch the battery again, the charging light is not on; checked the charge cable and it had power.

Pick up the notebook and heard some sound from loose part inside.

My son told me that the notebook had an update couple days ago.
He was using it in the morning. I picked him up in the afternoon for school break.
The issue occurred when he tried to start the notebook after came home about an hour.

The next morning, I took the notebook to a repair shop, and it was surprised that the computer was able to boot up, but it won't charge anymore. 
The battery was fully charged, I immediately copied all files to a USB drive.

Based on the symptom, we suspected the issue is with the Motherboard power circuit - the laptop would be useless after the battery is drained. 

The laptop is dead now. I press and hold the power button, the charge light is white and flash couple times.

HP Recommended

@dtong,

I am the The_Fossette. It looks like you were interacting with @MKazi, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here. 

I went through the entire conversation and it looks like a hardware issue. I recommend you contact HP phone support and they will assist you in this regard.

Here is how you can get in touch with the phone support.

Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Enter Product number or select to autodetects

Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If the solution provided helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Your feedback counts!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same issue. But My laptop is having an internal battery. 

My laptop model is 15-CC103NE

HP Recommended

@Rafeez

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?
  • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps?
  • What happens when you start the computer?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

Firstly, run Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8 refer to Reset a laptop with a sealed or non-removable battery(if the computer doesn't start up/power on you can skip the next step) 

Next step, BIOS default: 

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click
Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.