Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp 15-dy1023dx laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have a hp 15-dy1023dx laptop that I am trying to set up, but am getting a "enter administrator password or power on password" when I power up. I don't recall setting up a power-on password but I might have (it is an extra laptop that I set up a while back). I have tried all possible passwords I can think of and nothing works. After 3 unsuccessful tries, the message "system disabled" comes up with an "A" and a number after it, and I have to turn the machine off and back on again to try again.

I have taken off the back cover and have removed the big battery, hoping it would reset everything, but the only difference that makes is instead of getting the "enter administrator password or power on password" message, I get "the cmos checksum is invalid..." and then after a few seconds it goes back to "enter administrator password or power on password".

Is there a second battery I need to remove to reset it? I've seen in the forums that there is a code that can be provided. All help is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@jt96 

Unlikely that will work -- but as I said, we are unable to assist in that.  Sorry.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@jt96 

Removing the batteries in a laptop does nothing to reset any passwords.

Also, we're not permitted to provide Disable Code bypasses anymore.

Passwords can NOT be recovered; instead, they have to be reset.

If your PC reset your password on you, we can not help in that because we have no access to either the original or the new password.

We are not permitted to assist in resetting passwords due to HP Policy.
--------------------
For Admin password resets, you have to contact your regional HP Customer Support location directly for assistance.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
--------------------
For BIOS or power-on password resets, because the password is encoded onto a chip on the motherboard, replacement of that motherboard is required. HP does not reset the BIOS password on the current motherboard.

If you are not prepared to spend the money to get HP to replace the motherboard, you would have to take the PC to a local repair facility to see if they can do it for you -- but we can not assist in that in any way.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. Is it possible that one of the Disable Codes that were given to other users would work for me, or is each code unique to that computer? Is there a way of figuring out the code based off of the numbers given when the "disabled" message comes up?

It's a shame you can't help with the codes anymore. Sounds like that would fix my problem. This laptop was a gift and now it sounds like it's bricked until I get a new motherboard. Great.

HP Recommended

@jt96 

Unlikely that will work -- but as I said, we are unable to assist in that.  Sorry.

HP Recommended

How likely is it that the computer reset the password? Does that happen often? If it's rare, and most likely I just forgot it, I may still have the password somewhere and there may still be a chance... Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hey @jt96  🙂

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

According to the Community's Rules of Participation:

4d. No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to bypass or subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to bypass any safety measures.

Therefore, this topic is being locked. If you would like help resetting the password on your product, please Contact HP support in your region. 

@WAWood 

As always, thank you for helping our users.

Regards,

MarcusC

I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.