Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 745 G3
Linux

Hi!

Recently made a really good deal, at first glance, on a HP Elitebook 745 G3. It had a slighly broken backlight which made it really cheap even though being in great condition. I bought it from a certified seller of refurbished business electonics, mostly government recycled laptops which is out of service coverage. However, after installing a dualboot of Linux and Windows I noticed that BTRFS was being troublesome in Linux, which would be fixed by updating BIOS according to this forum. Imagine my surprise then I tried to enter BIOS and was met by a request for password. The seller take no responsibility for this since they only guarantee that you can access the computer, install new OS and access the harddrive. If I didn't need the updated BIOS this wouldnt not be problematic. Is there possible to get this unlocked by HP? Would be really annoying to scrap this beautiful laptop just because of this. I have proof of ownership, receipt from seller. The computer tech at my office said that HP might provide a smc.bin to unlock.

Thank you in advance.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

According to the Community's Rules of Participation:

4d. No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to bypass or subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to bypass any safety measures.

Therefore, this topic is being locked. If you would like help resetting the password on your product, please Contact HP support in your region. 

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.