Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP pavilion DV6
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I've noticed   it getting slower   and slower,  I timed it this morning    from  switchind  on and   then  entering password ,   7 minutes   in all,  I have    done all  the normall  stuff     emptying  browser   deleting history   and  system restore,  is there anything else  I can do  or is it just   wearing out ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

System restore is not exactly 'normal stuff' to me..hope you don't have to do it too often!

It should not be wearing out but things do change with time, the registry file is bloating, the desktop is usually full of icons, the HD gets fragmented etc. etc. Things very soon add up.

There is a nice write-up about using custom Event viewer filters to spot some of the offenders here:

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/use-windows-7-event-viewer-to-track-down-issues...

Of course the net if full of all kinds of guides about the issue, but more often than not they include a recommendation to use some shady application that supposedly is a magic bullet that solves everything. I am very wary of those.

People are using their precious remaining lifetime to try and help, so it is common courtesy to come back and tell what the solution eventually was even if you found it elsewhere. It is for the benefit of everyone.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

System restore is not exactly 'normal stuff' to me..hope you don't have to do it too often!

It should not be wearing out but things do change with time, the registry file is bloating, the desktop is usually full of icons, the HD gets fragmented etc. etc. Things very soon add up.

There is a nice write-up about using custom Event viewer filters to spot some of the offenders here:

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/use-windows-7-event-viewer-to-track-down-issues...

Of course the net if full of all kinds of guides about the issue, but more often than not they include a recommendation to use some shady application that supposedly is a magic bullet that solves everything. I am very wary of those.

People are using their precious remaining lifetime to try and help, so it is common courtesy to come back and tell what the solution eventually was even if you found it elsewhere. It is for the benefit of everyone.
HP Recommended

HI   I have   seen the event veiwer    but  imnot sure   how to interprit it    ,  also  my defrag is set  weekly   but does it   defrag  if its not switched on at the specific time ?

HP Recommended

I think few people enjoy the Event Viewer reports as their favorite bed time reading but the Windows logs do contain a wealth of information, albeit often needs quite a bit of work from trying to decipher the log to the actual cause for and resolution to something.

If you follow the method  presented in the article, the easy thing to grasp is that if some phase in the boot takes e.g. 50000 ms, that is 50s and it feels like a long time when you are waiting to be able to start working.

As to the defragmentation, I have never really paid attention if and when the background process is running so it is not obtrusive nor is it very aggressive in trying to get everything sorted out but for most it seems to do an ok work.

You can always run it manually e.g. from File Manager by right clicking on a drive and selecting properties and then Tools.

There are also many 3rd party tools that have more options and will go a bit deeper. The only one that I can personally comment on is the Defraggler by Piriform. At least for me it has never caused any issues, which is the number one thing when you are messing with your hard drive. It  let's you get a good view on your fragmentation situation and has the option to do the defragmentation at boot time so it can do more etc.

The programs usually do not try to get every byte in order, that would take too long with the big capacities of today's drives. So if you run the defragmentation again right after you will find that the programs still find new work to be done.

HP Recommended

thankyou   I acually have   piriform  cleaner,   but isnt there an  easier way  to   stop  programs  running at  startup  that  I am not using   very often  with out  deleting them   

HP Recommended

Unfortunately few application vendors reveal what all their memory resident stuff does when the app itself is not being used. Often it is things like looking for updates, making the app start faster or if there are shell extensions to Windows but of course it could be more sinister as well like what apps you are using etc.

Many apps will run just fine with some or all of the auto running stuff disabled but you will want to Google first for possible side effects before you start experimenting.  Be very careful not to disable anything vital for the system.

The tool that probably gives you the best look at what is being started up and where is the Sysinternals Autoruns:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

A built in tool is the msconfig utility that is often used to diagnose startup problems. (WinKey+R msconfig)

HP Recommended

Hi   thanks for reply   the first  link you gave me   just opened  a  list of  files ?????  and  the  second   opened  and when i selected     option 2   only start up essential   progs:    it just froze ?????

HP Recommended

Uh, oh! There is only one link in the message. It should take you to the Microsoft page.

Try copy pasting the text to your browser from this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

HP Recommended

what  a mess now   I was referring to the     msconfig         since    clicking the  second     option   and  everything froze   I  had to  force shut down  then  when i rebooted   i   couldnt connect to the internet  and  no other orograms  responded   including  system  restore,  after several  attempts  i revisited   msconfig   to find that for some unknown  reason    the third  option  was ticked    ?????   so  selected normal   start up  again.    which    now   will not   connect to the internet   with out  an ethernet   cable    which I am using now     and I cant     find  how to get   my wireleess   connection back,    is the   neon   on my wireless   status   suppossed to be orange    or    blue  for on ,  also  when i  try a   restart  it  closes   but   does not  reboot !  just  stays   with the   on light on    and   doesnt respond  to anything  so then I have to do a forced   close and   reboot   

update    just rebooted  and  have my internet  back   ,  but the   restart is  the same 

HP Recommended

Booting with the msconfig diagnostic options should not damage the system. More probably it is something that you have done in panic to try and recover.

What you can do is to run the checkdsk program to see if the file system has corruption because of the forced restarts.

Open the Command Prompt with Admin privileges and issue the command CHKDSK /X

This will schedule checking of the disk at the next boot.

If this does not help, you may need to use the System File Checker, but please do read the instructions and warnings first:

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

Always best to start with the sfc /verifyonly to see what the probram would fix.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.