Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

Could anyone help please, For the last few weeks when Windows security updates are being done and I think all is well I keep getting messages flashing up to say that the updates could not be completed. This seems to be only on certain ones, I am not very tech savvy and have no idea how to correct this, It wuld be good if someone could tell me in simple terms how to overcome this problem,

Many thanks in avance

John G

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Johnymac,

Thank you for your reply.

What is your precise model of HP Compaq laptop?

There is a link in my previous post to assist you with locating that information.

If you have a firewall (example Windows firewall) make sure that Windows update is on the white list. You could also try disabling the firewall and retry the Windows update to see if that helps.  If it does be sure to turn it back on afterward.

Did you check for viruses and malware?

Microsoft is also offering help with Windows 10.

Microsoft Corporation / Customer Support

1-800-642-7676

Microsoft Support Contact Us

Please keep me updated.

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Johnymac,

Thank you for your inquiry.

I grasp that for the last few weeks some of your Windows updates are

not being installed. When this occurs you see a message that the updates could not be completed.

What is your precise model of Compaq laptop?

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number?

Here is a link to the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Open the Windows update troubleshooter as it may help. It should lead to a forced update of Windows that may not be automatically applied, that could help resolve this issue.

You could also try installing the updates in Safe mode.

HP PCs - Windows Safe Mode (Windows 10, 😎

Have you tried running the HP Support Assistant ?

Have you checked for viruses and malware?

Please let me know the outcome.

When you have resolved your difficulty, would you choose "Accepted Solution" on that post to alert other members and visitors to your success and perhaps help them. To show appreciation for my help. please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hello

My Laptop is an HP Compaq Presario CQ62 Notebook PC

Product Number WT674EA#ABU

John G

HP Recommended

Hi i @Johnymac,

Thank you for your response.

Have you had the opportunity to try the suggestions I provided?

If so what were the results?

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hello

No sorry I could not understand how to proceed. When I start my laptop now there is a message  saying - 'we couldn't complete the update - undoing changes'.

John G

HP Recommended

HI  @Johnymac,

Once the notebook has finished reverting the changes and you can boot back into Windows then download the Windows update troubleshooter and run it. Click on the link I provided and follow the on- screen prompts. 

If that did not help, then boot into safe mode and download and retry installing the Windows updates? Click on the link above for instruction on how to boot into safe mode.

If you do not have an antivirus program you can download a free version from the web and run it.

Hope this helped.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hello

Have downloaded and run windows update troubleshooter and problems supposed to be fixed, but still getting messages that uupdates cannot be completed. I have got VIPRE security including anti virus. Cannot find link for instructions on how to correct the matter in SAFE mode.

John G

HP Recommended

Hi @Johnymac,

What is your precise model of HP Compaq laptop?

There is a link in my previous post to assist you with locating that information.

If you have a firewall (example Windows firewall) make sure that Windows update is on the white list. You could also try disabling the firewall and retry the Windows update to see if that helps.  If it does be sure to turn it back on afterward.

Did you check for viruses and malware?

Microsoft is also offering help with Windows 10.

Microsoft Corporation / Customer Support

1-800-642-7676

Microsoft Support Contact Us

Please keep me updated.

Sparkles1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.