Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hey Everyone,

To keep things short and simple, I'm experiencing an issue with using my AMD Radeon HD 7650M video card.

I've searched through many forums/articles and I've leared that my laptop (HP ProBook 4540's) has two video cards inbuilt; Intel HD Graphics 4000 & AMD Radeon HD 7650M (2GB); to save battery consumption. I've assigned certain games to run in high performance such as Skyrim but I simply don't find any difference. It always seems to run on 'low' settings and I'm pretty sure my card can do much better!

I've visitied the Intel website and I've updated all my drivers to the latest, including the Intel driver. Although, when I did this and after I restarted my computer, I get a message from the Catalyst Control Centre saying that my AMD driver is disabled and that I have to either download the latest driver or enable it through device manager. What I did next is I visited the HP website and I downloaded the 'latest' 8.951.6 AMD driver. Notice how I used inverted commas, hence the drivers are pretty old; nearly a year old to be precise!

I've also tried to download the latest drivers from the Radeon website but I simply can't because I get a message saying that I have incompatible drivers!

Some useful information you may/may not need:

Laptop: HP ProBook 4540s

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I appreciate any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here you go!

Download "LATEST" (really late!) Intel HD and Radeon Drivers from "HP SITE".

1) Go to device manager.
2) From the list of display adapters, uninstall Radeon and Intel HD drivers.
3) As soon as you uninstall both drivers, your system will be running on on-board VGA adapter, so all icons and desktop will run on 640x480 resolution.
4) Now restart PC.
5) Now install Intel HD driver that you've downloaded.
6) Restart PC.
7) Now your system will run on Native 1366*768 resolution.
😎 Now install Radeon drivers in Express mode.
9) Restart PC.
10) Again restart PC, go to BIOS settings, check Switchable/Dynamic for Graphics.
11) Now run AMDCCC.
12) Plug-in AC Adapter. Switch to HP Recommended power plan.
13) Run your favorite game. Assign it 'High performance mode'.
14) Enjoy!!!

I hope this helps you!

From the experience of 1 year+ troubleshooting of Intel HD 3000 + Radeon 6470M HD (1 GB) on Pavilion g6 1201-tx ! 🙂

Be sure you've your cooling pad or AC turned on for lowest running temperatures.

I've to run my system on Power Saving plan to keep laptop below 70 Deg. Cels. I use Cooling pad.

|___________________________|

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

Here you go!

Download "LATEST" (really late!) Intel HD and Radeon Drivers from "HP SITE".

1) Go to device manager.
2) From the list of display adapters, uninstall Radeon and Intel HD drivers.
3) As soon as you uninstall both drivers, your system will be running on on-board VGA adapter, so all icons and desktop will run on 640x480 resolution.
4) Now restart PC.
5) Now install Intel HD driver that you've downloaded.
6) Restart PC.
7) Now your system will run on Native 1366*768 resolution.
😎 Now install Radeon drivers in Express mode.
9) Restart PC.
10) Again restart PC, go to BIOS settings, check Switchable/Dynamic for Graphics.
11) Now run AMDCCC.
12) Plug-in AC Adapter. Switch to HP Recommended power plan.
13) Run your favorite game. Assign it 'High performance mode'.
14) Enjoy!!!

I hope this helps you!

From the experience of 1 year+ troubleshooting of Intel HD 3000 + Radeon 6470M HD (1 GB) on Pavilion g6 1201-tx ! 🙂

Be sure you've your cooling pad or AC turned on for lowest running temperatures.

I've to run my system on Power Saving plan to keep laptop below 70 Deg. Cels. I use Cooling pad.

HP Recommended

Hey VAHPG6,

Unfortunately, I experienced some difficulties following your steps.

When I uninstalled both video drivers and restarted my copmuter, device manager showed me that the AMD driver was still 'installed' but it had a small yellow triangle indicating that it wasn't functioning well (obviously because I uninstalled it). Assuming that it was uninstalled, I continued your steps but encountered my next problem in which I could not install the Intel driver due to an error message that said something similar to "cannot install driver because your computer did not meet the minimum requirements".

I didn't know what to do so I tried to install the AMD driver first instead and thankfully that worked. I restarted my computer and when I checked device manager, my Intel driver appeared surprisingly. I have no idea how and why it appeared but it's there now; Intel HD Graphics 4000. Just for the heck of it, I tried installing the Intel driver I downloaded from the HP website but I was presented with the same error as before. 

I then restarted my computer and followed your next step, entering my BIOS settings. I found nothing to do with my Switchable/Dynamic graphics so I restarted my computer again. As soon as I did that, I received a message with two options, "repair Windows (recommended)" or "launch windows normally". I have no idea as to why this error appeared but I clicked "repair Windows". The process wasn't doing anything so I just restared my laptop normally.

As soon as my laptop booted up, I opened device manager and it seems like both my video drivers are functioning properly.

The process I've just been through feels a bit messy and Skyrim is still automatically setting itself to "low" settings. There's an option for graphics adapter in my Skyrim settings but when I click the drop-down menu, the only video card that appears is my Intel HD Graphics 4000 card appears. 

Some extra information you may/may not want to know is as follows:

• I downloaded the latest graphics drivers from the HP website 
  • I did exactly what your steps indicated
  • I did not alter or change system settings during this process

HP Recommended
I dunno what has happening with your system.
When you uninstall, it should uninstall properly.

I've tested this on my system, and it works properly. I can run NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 @ 32 FPS on normalsettings. Because at higher settings temperature of system shoots up! 80+ !!!

Go to catalyst center, and manually select the game.exe and set it to High performance mode.

Now launch the game.

Your system should boot up normally. For repairing Windows you'll need Windows bootable DVD or USB.

Go to SAFE MODE using msconfig and restart. Then uninstall.

This should work now....

HP Recommended

Hey VAHPG6,

I have had some success in reinstalling my video drivers via your first suggestion!

What I did is as follows:

1) I downloaded the latest Intel HD Graphics 4000 from the Intel website and the latest AMD Radeon HD 7650M video driver from the HP website.

2) I uninstalled my AMD video driver and then my Intel video driver.

3) I restarted my computer but both my video drivers were still there so I uninstalled them again and restarted my computer.

4) Fortunately, they both uninstalled and I was running on my VGA video adapter.

5) I restarted my computer.

6) I then installed the Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver I downloaded from the Intel website.

7) The process was interesting as my screen started to show random things but I figured that such an event must occur in order to install the driver.

😎 I restarted my computer.

9) I then installed the AMD Radeon HD 7650M video driver I downloaded from the HP website.

10) This was a smooth process.

11) I restarted my computer.

I am now currently running smoothly with AMD Radeon HD 7650M and Intel HD Graphics 4000.

When I open Skyrim and click the drop-down menu for "Graphics Adapter", the only available option for me is still Intel HD Graphics 4000. I'm not sure why my Radeon adapter doesn't show up. Hmmmm...

Also, you told me to set my game to "High Performance Mode" but I don't know which (.exe) file to choose in my Skyrim folder. The options I am presented with are "SkyrimLauncher" and "TESV". 

Thanks a lot for your help thus far; I really appreciate it!

HP Recommended

Hi Imagionable,

When you open Config tool, it will always show Intel HD only.
Intel HD is main graphics controller, it wakes up AMD, when required by applications.

Install AMD System monitor. And keep it running during gaming.

Check on 'Show pop-up warning for unassigned applications' in Switchable Graphics'.

Using AMD System monitor you can easily check out if your AMD is running or not.

Let me know the results.

AMD switchable graphics work awesome for me.

Check out photos below:

Config Tool.jpg

AMDCCCSG.png

NFS HP 32 FPS.jpg

From the above images you can easily know that AMD Switchable works and Radeon is working when gaming.

Please check once. I followed similar steps and it works. 🙂

HP Recommended

Hey VAHPG6,

Thanks a lot for your help! I installed AMD System Monitor, I ran Skyrim in windowed mode (so I can view both Skyrim and AMD System Monitor at the same time) and I could see my AMD meter rising! 

Thanks a lot for your help! 

Here's a screenshot:

AMD Radeon HD 7650M.jpg

HP Recommended
It's good that you've confirmed AMD is working.

CPU use too low and AMD usage is 79%, this means that only AMD is active and not Intel HD.

Enjoy gaming!

HP Recommended
32 FPS @ High settings! That's awesome! Using all power that comes from AMD.
HP Recommended

I just want to confirm some of these steps before I do this later today.

I have a problem updating to the latest Intel and AMD driver as well and have switchable graphics.

I have HP Probook 4730s running Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit and now that have updated to Windows Essentials 2012 I can no longer see images in my Movie Maker 2012 and was able to in the 2011 version.  Microsoft tells me its because I don't have the updated drivers for my graphics card but I have been trying to update and been researching this for over a week now. 

I update Intel to the hp sites latest driver and I get the message "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software." and I have tried every which way.  Then I update the AMD but it seems to never be the new updated number.  So read that intel has to be updated first.  I stepped back to earlier driver download for AMD and tried Intel again and once again get the same message.   I went to Intel site and got the driver download for the Intel 4000 and for a second my movie maker worked but AMD shut down and said was disabled or something was wrong with it.  I tried to update that and it undid the Intel driver and once again my AMD does not seem to have the latest driver and movie maker does not work again.  And of course Microsoft tells me its because my drivers are not up to date for Intel and AMD so I should go here to hp site to download.  No kidding been there and tried that a dozen times.   I'm afraid to do anything more until I make sure I am going to do the right steps. 

I am not sure if I follow these steps taking out both drivers and then the following steps?  Do I get the latest driver from intel site with the 4000 or just get the one from HP which keeps saying I don't have minimum requirements?  Also not sure what it means to update the AMD driver in "Express Mode"?  Also I noticed one of the posters on here did not mention doing the bios set up thing for Switchable Graphics so had questions about that?  And by the way I did update Bios according to the HP Support Assistant but it also says nothing about my graphic card drivers being out of date so not sure if I even trust that and maybe should try updating bios again straight from HP for my computer.  I'm not sure how to tell if I have the latest bios compared to what is listed on HP downloads for my computer number.  

If anyone can just confirm any of this or any ideas before I embark on this.  I would be very grateful.  

Thank you

Jennifer

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.