Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
13-an0031wm
Linux

Is it possible to gain access to the fans on this notebook? The bios only have an option for "Fan full speed" [Enable/Disable] (which didnt seem to matter), and any hardware monitor only gives me readings for the temperature, maybe rpms, but no access to control.

I would like to find a way to have sustainable temperatures while under heavy load (loading a web browser, constantly streaming video...), without the "critical" temperature being 100 degrees celcius.

I think there was even a case where the HDMI port stopped functioning because of the high heat underneath near the port, but since cooling down, it works again. So I only have speculation.

At this point, I'm thinking that hardware support may have been scrapped (so the usual kernel modules don't matter), maybe a bios update will come with something (depending on severity), and/or software support will have to be customized somehow.

I would love to have the ability to improve temperature conditions for this notebook using arch linux.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@twrk Welcome to HP Forums Community!

I must let you know that HP doesn't recommend or support using Linux as of now, also all HP hardware components, especially the CPU/GPU fan is system managed,

however, there are minor tweaks you can do such as the ones mentioned in this link: Click here for details.

As for the heat manageable by your device, I've looked up your product specifications and Tjunction supported by your CPU is 100°C (which means nothing would happen to your device even if it heats the temperature mentioned previously)

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@twrk Welcome to HP Forums Community!

I must let you know that HP doesn't recommend or support using Linux as of now, also all HP hardware components, especially the CPU/GPU fan is system managed,

however, there are minor tweaks you can do such as the ones mentioned in this link: Click here for details.

As for the heat manageable by your device, I've looked up your product specifications and Tjunction supported by your CPU is 100°C (which means nothing would happen to your device even if it heats the temperature mentioned previously)

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.