Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I'm new to HP and this community. I saw a good deal on a 14-DF0023CL but it only has 4gb memory, a 128gb M.2 SSD, and runs Windows 10 on S mode. I believe the memory can be added and there's a option to do a one way switch to Windows 10 Home. But what I'm concerned about is the lack of storage space. Would I be able to add another SSD, possibly a 500gb? I was planning to boot off the faster 128gb M.2 SSD and use the additional SSD for data. Is this possible?

Another option I was thinking of is to use the M.2 slot for a 16gb Optane memory and add a 1TB HDD. If that's possible.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@Homer742

Please check the following manual

1. For RAM: page 2,
  2. For 2.5" HDD/SSD: Page 3. Basically you can add HDD or SSD to its HDD bay. But you need more parts as shown on page 36.

With 128GB SSD as primary storage and 1TB SDD as secondary storage. I don't think you need Optane. Therefore I was planning to boot off the faster 128gb M.2 SSD and use the additional SSD for data is a good option and it is possible.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Bahnhien:

Am I missing something? You reference page 2 of a manual for which I do not see a link.

I believe that there is only one memory slot currently occupied by the 4GB of DDR4 RAM.  The question is can that single slot accept more than 4GB (and how much?) ???

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Here is the Manual:

Service manual

green = hard drive and red circle = M.2 slotgreen = hard drive and red circle = M.2 slot

You have 2 memory slots and specs say the 4 gb memory is one module so there will be an open slot. Start on p. 33 for instructions to remove back cover. The 14-df0023cl has only a 128 gig M.2. There is a space for a hard drive (see p. 36) BUT and this a big BUT, you will not be provided with these parts:

Hard drive cable L23187-001 Hard drive bracket L24490-001

These parts starting with "L" have proven very elusive. HP does not make them readily available in the parts shops. 

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=493FEBFDDB3A4BEC8D28714FA14976AB&SearchIn=P...

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if its the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe it's so difficult to find basic/important information so that you can make an informed decision.  If this unit was fixed at only 4GB RAM, not really interested.  8GB Ram?  That's a respectable machine at an attractive price/performance point.

for my intended usuage.

Thanks, Huffer!  Happy holidays to you.

HP Recommended

Sadly, the window to pickup at COSTCO for $299 has passed and it's back at it's normal $399 cost.  Bummer.....

HP Recommended

Yeah its that old snoozin' and losin' thing. Laptops are being deeply discounted this holiday season so keep your eyes peeled and you will find a deal I am sure. 

HP Recommended

what type of ram installed like ddr3 or ddr4 or  ddr5

HP Recommended

I tried adding a WD 500gb SSD using a drive cable from a 15” HP laptop that looked like it should work (same type of ribbon, same number of pins, same look, blue end tape, etc.) but the laptop refused to boot after reconnecting the battery.  It wouldn’t boot even if there was no drive attached to the cable, which tells me something is very different about the cable make up.  Can you shed any light on this? 

I’ve had no luck finding part # L23187-001

HP Recommended

Hello, im speak spanish, sorry my bad english.

The ram that this model use is sdram slim (the short dimm) or sodimm (the dimm more width) or the u-dimm? Can you comment a link with picture that show the exactly module it use? Thanks so much. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.