Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
17-BS153CL
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello peoples! I bought a 128GB M.2 SATA III drive, and installed it in my spare M.2 slot, but I've been having issues with it. First boot up, it showed up and all was well. Now, when the computer goes to sleep and I wake it I get a BIOS message that the system has detected a hard drive issue, to which I then run the diagnostic on all drives and all come back fine, except the 128GB M.2 drive shows up as 0kb. When booted into Windows, it'll either not show up, show up as 0kb, or work fine. As the title says, this is the third drive in my system; I replaced the CD drive with a HDD caddy adapter and a 1TB WD drive, in addition to the 1TB Seagate drive that came with the computer. Ideally, I would like to use the M.2 drive as the boot and OS drive, and the others as general storage. I was able to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 on the drive, after I had removed the other two drives, and even then I ran into boot issues after restarting roughly 5 times. Could this be a BIOS issue? I'm all out of ideas, and usure what to do, so any advice would be appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

What kind of 128 gig SATA M.2 do you have? It is throwing off an error Code on diagnosis? Seems self-explanatory; there is some kind of a  hardware error on the M.2 disk. You can drive yourself nuts trying to work with a bad hard drive or SSD. 

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

What kind of 128 gig SATA M.2 do you have? It is throwing off an error Code on diagnosis? Seems self-explanatory; there is some kind of a  hardware error on the M.2 disk. You can drive yourself nuts trying to work with a bad hard drive or SSD. 

It's a cheaper drive, it's the KingSpec drive here https://amzn.to/2FpnxoG The only thing that it's throwing is "The SMART hard disk check has detected an imminent failure. To ensure data loss, please backup the content immediately and run the Hard Disk Test is System Diagnostics. Hard Disk 1 (301)". I am hopefull that it's just the drive, otherwise I don't see why there would be this issue. I should also mention, when I installed the drive, I made sure to completely power off the laptop, unplug the charger and remove the battery, and held the power button for 15 seconds to completely drain the system.

HP Recommended

Again it seems self-explanatory. You will not know for sure until you replace the drive, however. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.