Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 13-4105dx 360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We have a new HP Spectre 13-4105dx to replace a damaged one, but really need a larger hard drive in it --- at least 1TB.  I realize that it will need to be the M.2 type, but need to know if the laptop will recognize the larger drive and the specs of what I should get.

We've cloned the previous hard drive onto a 1TB external drive using Acronis and hopefully it will not be too difficult to restore it to a new drive.

I see similar questions but not for the 13-4105dx.  Any help and pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

By some reasons, HP has stopped to publish the Maintenance and Service Guide for this series (HP Spectre x360 13-4nnnaa laptops).  Probably due to this:

IMPORTANT! This document is intended for HP authorized service providers only.

From my records, on page 28, we can remove the M.2 SSD and swap to a different one such as 512-GB, M2, SATA3 solid-state drive supporting TLC part number 801504-001. It has only one screw. 

But because the book is not available to download now therefore I can't show you the link and its name. If you wish, please see an HP authorized service provider. They will help you to upgrade to 1TB.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hey there @ANMLLVR, Welcome to HP forums!

I understand that you need to know whether you can extend the hard drive size on your laptop.

I went through the specifications of your laptop and found that 512GB M.2 SSD is the maximum supported on this unit.

M.2 SSD card has been embedded to the system board, So you cannot upgrade the hard drive on your laptop.

Let me know if this helps,

Have a great day!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for researching this.  I'm surprised that the M.2 SSD can't be swapped out.  I was just about to order a 1TB M.2, wanted to make sure.  Thought about opening up the laptop and taking a peek, but haven't had the time yet.  Soooo, that limitation is going to be a problem for us.  I'll ponder the situation a bit and see what other laptops might better fit us.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi,

By some reasons, HP has stopped to publish the Maintenance and Service Guide for this series (HP Spectre x360 13-4nnnaa laptops).  Probably due to this:

IMPORTANT! This document is intended for HP authorized service providers only.

From my records, on page 28, we can remove the M.2 SSD and swap to a different one such as 512-GB, M2, SATA3 solid-state drive supporting TLC part number 801504-001. It has only one screw. 

But because the book is not available to download now therefore I can't show you the link and its name. If you wish, please see an HP authorized service provider. They will help you to upgrade to 1TB.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Wow.  Well, this would certainly solve our problem for the least amount of $$.  Thanks.  I'll look into it further.  And I, too, have tried to find that Maintenance and Service Guide but could not.

HP Recommended

@ANMLLVR thanks for the reply,

Yes @banhien reply seems to be valid. But if you upgrade your laptop you might get limited support from HP.

Please refer the details below.

Exclusions
HP does not warrant that the operation of this
product will be uninterrupted or error-free. HP is
not responsible for damage that occurs as
a result of your failure to follow the instructions
intended for the HP Hardware Product

This Limited Warranty does not apply to
expendable or consumable parts and does not
extend to any product from which the serial
the number has been removed or that has been
damaged or rendered defective (a) as a result of
accident, misuse, abuse, contamination,
improper or inadequate maintenance or
calibration, or other external causes; (b) by
operation outside the usage parameters stated in
the user documentation that shipped with the
product (c) by software, interfacing, parts, or
supplies not supplied by HP; (d) by improper site
preparation or maintenance; (e) by the virus
infection; (f) from loss or damage in transit; (g)
by modification or service by anyone other than
(i) HP, (ii) an HP authorized service provider, or
(iii) your own installation of end-user-replaceable
HP or HP-approved parts if available for your
product in the servicing country/region.

Please refer the document to know more about limited warranty on HP products: http://hp.care/2cFVfw8

I will watch for your reply.

Have a great day!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for the confirmation and warranty information.  Usually I do hardware upgrades myself, but per your information, it might be wise to take it to an HP authorized service agent to get the new 1TB M.2 SSD installed.  It looks like that would keep the warranty valid.

It took me a lot of research but it appears that I need a M.2 NGFF (2280) TLC SATA III SSD.   I see others have used the Sandisk SD8SN8U-1T00-1122  and the Transcend TS1TMTS800 in their HP Spectres.  The only difference I see (besides price) is that the Transcend has a Data Transfer Rate of 6Gps wher the Sandisk has 600Mps.  Will this matter in our HP Spectre 13-4105dx?  I'll pay more if it does, but if the motherboard or something else is a limiting factor, I'd like to know.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I have went thought the specifications of your laptop and it looks like that your laptop model does not support 1TB M.2 SSD.

It looks like there is a limitation in the hard drive size. Please find the Link for more information.

Note: Please refer to page number 15.

Link: http://hp.care/2cFt650

Your laptop model is HP Spectre Pro13 G1 Notebook PC

I will watch for your reply.

Have a great day!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That is NOT our notebook.  There is no "v" in our model number.  It's HP Spectre x360 13-4105dx.  Per the other responder, you need to find the Maintenance and Service Manual HP Spectre x360 13-4nnnaa laptops. Hope you are able to find the relevant manual for it!  I'd love to see it and make sure since I haven't bought the new M.2 SSD yet.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I understand the maintenance and service guide i sent you was not your laptop.

So can you please provide me the serial number and product number of your laptop in a private message.

So i can get you the right specifications of the laptop.

Keep me posted,

Have a great day!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.