Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy 360 M6-W105DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

According to the documentation, my system specifications allow for a maximum RAM amount of 16GB (it came with 8GB).  I purchased two 8 GB RAM modules and installed them, but my laptop is not detecting the additional RAM, and is still running with only 8GB.  This is true both in Windows and in the BIOS, in both places it shows a total of 8 GB.  I tried running the windows memory checker to ensure that I didn't receive a defective chip, and everything came out clear, no errors or issues found.  I tried running CPU-Z, and it detects only a single module in RAM bank 1, it's as though I never installed anything in the 2nd bank at all.  I know the chip was seated properly, it's just not being detected.

How do I correct this?  With other computers in the past, it's always been a simple matter of going into the BIOS and changing a setting to enable the additional RAM, but there's no such option in the BIOS, and no BIOS updates available for my laptop.

Please help, I'm at a loss as to how to proceed!  🙂

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@kmcbarne 

Please swap old RAM from slot 1 to slot 2 and run on ONE slot only to check.

(a) If ok, that means nothing wrong with slot 2,

(b) If nok, you need to physically check slot 2 to see nay damage.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.