Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy 17t 2rx66av
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Laptop is in its original configuration with one drive:  Samsung MZVLW512HMUP-000H1.  I'm considering one of two Samsung SSD drives ... MZ-76E2T0B/AM -or- MZ-76E4T0B/AM in addition to this drive.

Questions:

1 - Is this possible?

2 - HOW do I do this?  (Previous response to someone else with a similar question in 2018 had a link to a video showing how, I presume.  This link no longer appears to be active, or at least I cannot access it.)

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@banhien

Thank you for your help.  FWIW, I upgraded my laptop as follows (new components):

Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 1TB  (Primary "C:" drive)

Samsung 860 EVO SSD 2TB (Second "D:" drive)

Crucial DDR4-2400 Notebook 32GB Kit (2X16GB)  (Increase ram from 16GB to 32GB)

Clean install of Win 10 Home and all other software that was previously in use.

The installation was smooth and easy and ALL new hardware seems to be working perfectly.

Thanks again!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Schutzenmeister 

2rx66av is an invalid code

https://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=2rx66av

What is it ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

2rx66av is the Model Number for my (now 2 1/2 year old) Envy 17T ...

HP Recommended

@Schutzenmeister 

Looks like it is a CTO machine and it could be an HP Envy 17T-ae100 (or ae-1xx). HPSA should show you what it is. The series supports M.2 SSD and normal 2.5" HDD/SSD.

It has M.2 SSD now, you can add 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD to your machine but you need

• The hard drive bracket and screws are included in the Hard Drive Hardware Kit, spare part number 812686-001.
  • The hard drive cable is available using spare part number 812697-001.

You can buy parts from

https://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=812697-001

Now, please use HPSA to check to make sure it is an ae-100 or ae-1xx machine.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I looked it up by way of serial number and warranty registration ... Machine is HP Envy 17T-ae100 CT0.  I'll plan to add either a 2 or 4TB Samsung SDD 2.5 inch SATA in the near future ... Yeah!

Forgive me ... Two ancillary questions.  ( I learned to ask more as I've read more ... Sorry!)  

1 - Can I replace the existing M.2 SSD with a newer Samsung 970 EVO 1 or 2TB Drive?  That's a 2280 and I don't know if there's enough room where the current M.2 sits.

2 - My original build had 16 GB Ram ... the most available for the machine at the time.  Is it possible to up that to 32 GB now with new chips?  

Thanks in advance!

HP Recommended

@https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/18563

Sorry ... I should have flagged you when I wrote the above yesterday.

HP Recommended

@banhien

Thank you for your help.  FWIW, I upgraded my laptop as follows (new components):

Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 1TB  (Primary "C:" drive)

Samsung 860 EVO SSD 2TB (Second "D:" drive)

Crucial DDR4-2400 Notebook 32GB Kit (2X16GB)  (Increase ram from 16GB to 32GB)

Clean install of Win 10 Home and all other software that was previously in use.

The installation was smooth and easy and ALL new hardware seems to be working perfectly.

Thanks again!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.