Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-ay038no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

I recently purchased a HP Notebook - 15-ay038no and i want to add a 2nd hdd. Does this model support an aditional hdd?

I have a conector next to the cpu that is empty (ribbon cable connection).

It doesnt have a optical bay installed.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-15-ay000-Notebook-PC-series/10862300/model/12312518

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
After some extensive research i found that the connector right next to the cpu marked with jODD is the connector to the odd optical drive. I found the 10 pin adapter on ebay :
http://m.ebay.com/itm/HP-TouchSmart-15-ac121dx-ODD-SATA-Connector-LS-C706P-w-cable-NBX0001TY00-/1219...
I'm going to give it a try.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Ribbon connector

HP Recommended

Hi @test0s,

Welcome to the HP Forums! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I have read your post, and I would be happy to assist you. I understand that you want to confirm that if the laptop can be installed a second hard drive.

Based on the specifications of the product, it does not show that it has another M2. slot. When it is not mentioned, it probably does not have it.

If this post helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "thumbs up" to give me Kudos. 

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi SDJL and thanks for your reply.

The specifications do not tell me that this laptop will not suport an aditional ssd/hdd - just basic info - it does not say anything about how many ram slots you have available either.

As you can see in the picture i have atached that the m.2 sata3 ssd is coupled to the mb by an adaptor with a ribbon connector.

My question is about the free slot right next to the cpu - can i use it to attach a extra hdd via an adaptor with a ribbon cable? (newmodeus has some god adaptors that i have used in before).

Regads

HP Recommended

Hi @test0s,

The slot you marked on the picture is not as same as the M.2 slot. The number of pins on the connector is different. I am not sure what is that slot for, but I do not think you can attach another SSD to it.

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
After some extensive research i found that the connector right next to the cpu marked with jODD is the connector to the odd optical drive. I found the 10 pin adapter on ebay :
http://m.ebay.com/itm/HP-TouchSmart-15-ac121dx-ODD-SATA-Connector-LS-C706P-w-cable-NBX0001TY00-/1219...
I'm going to give it a try.
HP Recommended

Hi 

I m in the same situation, i have another model HP ac126la, also didnt come with DVD  but its similar to your MB, even the connector at MB has 10 pins... so I suppose we are in very similiar situations... i want to ask you  if you tried the solution you published, with the ribbon found on internet.. did you installed the 2nd HDD ? suppose you used an HDD Caddy to simulate there is a DVD unit connected, but within it there is the HDD ...

thanks in advance

Felix

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.