Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 14s dk0170AU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just bought the laptop which comes with 256GB PCIe NVME M2 SSD but want to upgrade to add either another 256GB SSD or replace with a 512GB.  However, the original 256 PCIe may become  redundant if the 2nd slot is sata and i was wondering if t what speed reduction will I get if it is sata.

The 2nd drive will most be for storage  for my Dropbox files etc and Windows 10 OS will still be on the original 256GB PCIe.

Any help would be appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

There is only a single M.2 slot for a "gumstick" type disk and it can take either a PCIe/NVME or a SATA 2280 form factor M.2 SSD. Your single slot is already in use so you cannot have a second M.2. However, there is a bay for holding a 2.5 inch hard drive or SSD. Problem is, to connect a hard drive or SSD you need these things, which HP will not have provided:

Hard drive cable L23187-001
Hard drive bracket L24490-001

See p. 36 of the Manual here:

Manual 

These bracket and cable parts are very hard to locate in the market and when you do they can be expensive. HP Parts does not sell them but sometimes you can find them on eBay or amazon.com. For example, here is the cable from a German seller:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-L23187-001-Hdd-Cable-E/202828952512?hash=item2f398c33c0:g:5jYAAOSwNw1d2G...

You will come out cheaper and easier just upgrading the existing 256 NVME M.2 to a 512 or 1 TB. Post back if you want to do that instead or if you want to proceed with adding a 2.5 inch hard drive or SSD. 

If this is the info you needed please accept as solution. 

HP Recommended

Dear Huffer,

You are right as I live in Malaysia it it going to be a long hard haul to get the cable from China and the caddy from the USA.  If upgrade to 1tb NVME here,  I will have no waiting, assured fitting and data transfer. 

I believe the cost are about equal if I sell the 250GB  stick and will lose the that extra 250GB but having experienced NVME, I am very loathed to revert to anything slower - the speed of booting up still freaks me out after 6 weeks of constant use.  Back in the day I had an HP pre-IBM Compatible that took about 3 minutes to boot and 5 minutes to draw an arrow on its green screen!

I will upgrade to the 1tb ASAP and would like any advice on how to do this.  

Much appreciate the time and knowledge you are sharing with the Forum,

HP Recommended

Start on p. 31 of the Manual to remove the rear cover and inside there is this:

M.2 slot in red circle.M.2 slot in red circle.

This shows where the M.2 is to physically replace it. You need to either back up the existing hard drive to an image that can be restored to the new disk or make a clone of the old to the new, or just clean install onto the new disk. Happy to discuss different ways to do that. 

HP Recommended

I would appreciate your thoughts on the clone solution as I have things as I like them and don't want to go through the  installation process again, no matter how quick it was!

My concern is the cable to port from 1 SSD to the other

Many thanks.

HP Recommended

You'd be cloning what to what?

HP Recommended

Sorry I didn't make myself clear enough.

I would really like to know how to clone my current 256 GB SSD NVME to a 1TB SSD NVME in fine detail, if possible.  I can get any number of "cloning" applications  but I am currently using Iperius Backup 6.3.1 which allows me to to create VHDX  file or a Windows Drive image.  Will I need to format the new SSD or would everything be overwritten?

Are there different solutions such as:

1. Direct clone from 1 SSD to another and do a "live" transfer - will that need the HP cable that is hard to get?

2. Create a Windows image or a .vhdx image on to a separate HDD and then install. 

3. Take it to the HP store and then ask them to do their "magic" behind the scenes and pay a high price for the SSD?

Sorry there are so many questions but many thanks for your time and help.

HP Recommended

Avoid the HP Store because as you suggest they will charge an arm and a leg and they will not clone for you. I have a usb to NVME M.2 adapter but it was pretty expensive. If you have the means to make an image onto an external usb disk then swap the SSDs then recover that image to the new SSD that is the way to go. Otherwise I can help you find an adapter and you can do a direct disk to disk clone using a cloning app you run off bootable media. 

HP Recommended

I finally sat down and analysed why I needed the extra space and what I could do to mitigate the situation and have come up with a compromise which I hope will be the right one.  I have about 50 GB (and growing) of documentation that I may need to access when on site which is saved in Dropbox and is Smart Sync for online only instead of Local ( to save space).  Sometimes the internet signal is not good/absent and I have to wait some time to access locally.  So what I needed was a compromise between an external HDD and the full blown 1 TB  M.2.. One of the main concerns was the cost of the 1TB NVME M.2 and how little I would get for selling my 256 GB NVME M.2.

My compromise is to add a Gigabyte 480 GB SATA SSD which I have bought.  I am now waiting for the two components that you kindly identified to be delivered from AliExpress (Part of Alibaba) in China and only cost me USD$23 including shipping. 

There were quite a few sellers so I am not too concerned if they don't work plus a 60 days dispute period.  I was impressed with the range of electronic parts and parts for IT in general and I will post as to the whole experience including the delivery, packaging  and functioning of the parts.  The tracking seems to be lagging behind the actual situation but as it is Christmas Day and some, here in SE Asia take is as a holiday, I am not too concerned as I only ordered on 22nd

I know this case may not be the norm but it may help others to search further afield than only from Western Europe and USA.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.