Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Notebook - 17-s041nr (Touch) (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I need to replace the failed 2 TB 5400 rpm SATA HDD in my laptop.  I am not interested in the cost of an SSD, which I don't think would fit anyway.  I need advice on two questions:

Are there any worthwhile upgrade possibilities when replacing the SATA HDD or is my only option to just replace it with the same type of drive?
If I should go with the same type of drive, are all 2 TB 5400 rpm SATA HDDs created equal or are there certain specs I should be looking for?
Thanks

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

Do you need all 2 TB for storage?

A 500 GB SSD is reasonably priced and would offer a significant performance boost over a 5,400 RPM drive.

Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 500GB Internal SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, 2.5 Inch /7 mm, Up to 560 MB...

If you need the 2 TB, then the only suggestion I can offer would be to find one that has a large cache such as this one.

Amazon.com: Seagate 2TB BarraCuda SATA 6Gb/s 128MB Cache 2.5-Inch 7mm Internal Hard Drive (ST2000LM0...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.