Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. According to HP manual both 45W and 65W are officially supported by my HP Elitebook G3.

I am using the genuine 45W AC Adapter, I am noticing slightly better performance when Laptop runs on battery.

Could it be related to the AC Adapter? Should I buy the 65W for better performance?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No. If it is OK with a 45w adding 20w to the adapter will do nothing for performance. It appears yours is the base model with Intel HD graphics so the 45w should provide all the power you need. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The 65W may be needed if you have a discrete video card. If the laptop runs better on battery it may be power profile settings. 

If the adapter is underpowered you may experience unexpected shutdown during heavy graphics use such as gaming or if not shutdown then throttling. If you can give us the Product Code of the laptop we can tell you if a 45W or a 65W was shipped with it and you should definitely use the type of adapter provided when the laptop was new. 

HP Recommended

Thank you very much Sir.

Here's my ProdID : L3C65AV

Will I benefit from any advantage by upgrading to a 65W adapter, beside fast battery charging?

Thank you!

HP Recommended

No. If it is OK with a 45w adding 20w to the adapter will do nothing for performance. It appears yours is the base model with Intel HD graphics so the 45w should provide all the power you need. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.