Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8470p - model A1J04AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good afternoon to everyone.

I want to thank Erico for his previous post regarding the same question (post started on  ‎01-17-2019 04:06 AM)

I want to upgrade my laptop from i5 to i7, and Ive choosen the i7-3720QM

I've previously check the online doc at

https://support.hp.com/it-it/product/hp-elitebook-8470p-notebook-pc/5212907/document/c03374369#AbT0

where, in the Product features section, for 8470p (no ones talks about 8470w type!) you can read 

3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3720QM (2.60 GHz, 6MB L3 cache, 45 W, 4 cores)

as possible CPU for the 8470p laptop.

Thanks to Erico, now I've read the 

Maintenance & service guide on pages 1 and 2, 35, 47 and on page 114

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03659338

I've tryed to ask this question to italian HP support but no answer could be given to me, so no support for this issue.

Now I'm really confused about.

Let me try to clarify my doubt:

1) in HP site is write that 3720QM can be onboard to a 8470p!!!!

2) in service guide on page 1 & 2, no mention about this processor

3) in service guide on page 35, 3720QM ony for 8470w

4) in service guide on page 47, 3720QM for use on all computer models

5)  in service guide on page 114, again 3720QM only for 8470w

I'm aware of different TDP factor from 35 to 45 W (actually my laptop mount a i5-3320M - 35W)

So the question is: can I mount the 3720QM or not?

And,  if not, can I mount on my laptop a 3520M processor?

Which other i7 processors can I mount? Just ones with TDP=35W and on the list on page 35?

Please, understand my frustration about, and please, try to help me.

Many thanks in advance for your support

Best regards

Claudio

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

All we can do is read the Manual. Nobody from HP is going to have any reservoir of data or experience to say what works from practical experience. HP does not deal in upgrades and very few people would have tried to put one of the Quad Cores onto the non-workstation model. I agree with you, the information is conflicting. I am going to say I tend to believe the information on p. 35 that limits the Quad Cores to the workstation model. That means I believe you can use one of the dual core i7s on your 8470p. i7-3540m. Quad Core might work...maybe but no one is going to give you any assurance on it. Good luck. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

All we can do is read the Manual. Nobody from HP is going to have any reservoir of data or experience to say what works from practical experience. HP does not deal in upgrades and very few people would have tried to put one of the Quad Cores onto the non-workstation model. I agree with you, the information is conflicting. I am going to say I tend to believe the information on p. 35 that limits the Quad Cores to the workstation model. That means I believe you can use one of the dual core i7s on your 8470p. i7-3540m. Quad Core might work...maybe but no one is going to give you any assurance on it. Good luck. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer,

I completely agree with you.

I want to thank you to take time for answering my question.

Best regards

Claudio

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.