Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 8770w Mobile Workstation
Linux

I need help getting the brightness control to work.  My hardware is

system:
Host: 8770w Kernel: 5.13.0-41-generic x86_64 bits: 64 ; F71 BIOS
Desktop: Cinnamon 5.2.7 Distro: Linux Mint 20.3 Una

Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA GK104GLM [Quadro K3000M] driver: nvidia v: 390.147
Display: server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: nvidia
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Quadro K3000M/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.147

Both the Fn+f9, F10 bring up a brightness widget which can be incremented or decremented as can the task tray battery brightness control.

The problem is the brightness is at 100% regardless of the setting.  I upgraded the Kernel to 5.14 and still no luck.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

No question the brightness control is part of the video driver. I'm afraid this is something you are going to have to search out on the help boards for your Linux distro. Do you have the nVidia xserver settings app on your system? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjeBfdTWFjI

HP Recommended

Thank you for that info.  I'll look into the video and report later.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.