Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavillion x360 convertable
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone..

I have an HP pavillion x360 14, and I don't know what is better for the battery either to keep the laptop charging all the time or just charge the battery every time it comes low !?

I use my laptop about five hours a day and I would like to keep the battery as good as possible.

آ 

Thanks in advance ..

Fawaz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Just keep the laptop on the charger if you can. Only use battery if you have to. If you run it down 5 hours a day then charge back up you will just rack up cycles which will shorten the lifespan of the battery. A cycle will not register if the laptop just charges and discharges from say 95% to 100% as it will if you keep it on the charger when in use and turn it off at night. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as SOlution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Just keep the laptop on the charger if you can. Only use battery if you have to. If you run it down 5 hours a day then charge back up you will just rack up cycles which will shorten the lifespan of the battery. A cycle will not register if the laptop just charges and discharges from say 95% to 100% as it will if you keep it on the charger when in use and turn it off at night. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as SOlution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

The matter is that my laptop has a battery which is NOT removable !!

HP Recommended

The answer is still the same. I did not say anything about physically removing the battery. If you are using it and AC power is handy, plug it in. If you are mobile, let it run on battery power and then charge it when you get somewhere with AC power.  

HP Recommended
That's clear .
One last thing I didn't get it well is "A cycle will not register if the laptop just charges and discharges from say 95% to 100% as it will if you keep it on the charger when in use and turn it off at night".

Could you please explain a little more about it.. I'm totally grateful.
HP Recommended

There is a smart chip in the battery...it counts charge/discharge cycles and you can see how many cycles are on your battery in the advanced options in the HP Support Assistant battery check. Anyway, all else equal a battery lasts longer the fewer cycles it goes through. A slight discharge (down to say 95%) followed by a "top off" back to 100% will not count as a cycle. But running to down to 40% or even 50% and then charging back up WILL make a cycle.

So very simply, use the wall power when you can and battery only when you absolutely must and you will get the best life out of your battery. Don't drop it below about 20% when using it on battery is the other main point. Otherwise people way over-analyze this. It is a modern laptop and the battery is an advanced piece of hardware and the computer has advanced power management capabilites. You can't do better than letting it do its thing. Use and enjoy.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended
Appreciate your cooperation.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.