Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 9408nr
Microsoft Windows Vista

How can I add a second drive from another laptops primary drive. I took the drive out of the same type laptop that the motherboard crashed. I put it in drive bay 2. Having problems with booting. Sometimes wants to boot from drive 2. Is there a MBR there somewhere? Are there jumpers to make it a slave. Sometimes it will install software on 2 without  any question. Is there a way to make it a slave?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Important- copy all of the data on the second hard drive that you want to save to the first drive.

Boot to Windows with the primary hard disk. Use the Windows Explorer to locate the second hard drive. Right click on it and format it.  Once that is done, all it will be is a storage device and not bootable until an operating system is installed to it.

The BIOS will only see the primary hard disk as bootable as it will now be the only disk with a MBR boot sector.

The days of placement of jumpers to determins Master or Slave on hard drives is long gone. SATA drives do not have slave\master jumpers like the old school IDE and EIDE drives did.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Need the full model number. Most classic 17 inch models that have dual hard drive bays, the second bay is not bootable.

Is it a dv9000 series like 7 or 8 years old or something more recent?

HP Recommended

Important- copy all of the data on the second hard drive that you want to save to the first drive.

Boot to Windows with the primary hard disk. Use the Windows Explorer to locate the second hard drive. Right click on it and format it.  Once that is done, all it will be is a storage device and not bootable until an operating system is installed to it.

The BIOS will only see the primary hard disk as bootable as it will now be the only disk with a MBR boot sector.

The days of placement of jumpers to determins Master or Slave on hard drives is long gone. SATA drives do not have slave\master jumpers like the old school IDE and EIDE drives did.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Yes its an oldie but goodie. I bought 2 at the time, maybe 10 yrs ago. Motherboaders finialy crashed due to Nvidia chip flow. Had one redone and worked for a couple years then crashed. The other had probs also and had that one reflowed and all it well for the time. Decided to add the hard drive from one to the other and have been having some issues. Thought mabe there was a jumper setting like the old days to make a slave using cable select. 

If the second bay is not bootable then my probs are elsewhere. I have installed Vista from a clean install wiping all the HP stuff. I am in process of installing all the upgrades for this model. This may help. Firmware is 4.0

I will first flash 4.2 

Thanks for your help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.