Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17t-ce100 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i wanted to add a second Hard Drive to my laptop so I ordered a Samsung 1tb SSD along with a rubber hard drive caddy to hold new hard drive, also ordered a 2.5 SATA SSD Hard Drive cable connector. I added the new Hard Drive and when I turned it on I got this message. ( The CMOS checksum is invalid. The CMOS will be reset to the default configuration and will be rebooted, Please check your BIOS setup options to see if they change. CMOS Reset (502). After reboot the laptop work fine, but the new Hard Drive did not show up in BIOS or Disk Management. I thought maybe the new connector was bad or I damaged it while trying to get it in place, so I ordered a new one. After I got it, I took laptop apart again and put new HD and connector in place, turned it on and same thing happened. I called Samsung and talked to them and they had me send the HD to them to check to see if it was bad. At this time it is with Samsung, but wanted to ask so when it gets back to me I might have a idea what to do, has anyone tried to add a second HD to this Laptop and had this problem. When the HD gets back to me knowing that it was either fixed. or there had no problems or it was replaced. So I'll know it's not the HD. Any ideas what to do to add this HD?  512 HD is not enough for me as I am in collage but doing it from home and I have to build a lot of VM'S as I am learning I.T.  and I ran out of space quickly. So please help if you can.

Thank you,

Dale Inman

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@dinman68

• Do you have an operating system on the SSD?
  • Have you tried cloning the Hard drive to the SSD?

Meanwhile, I want you to make sure that the SSD is getting detected in the BIOS and install the operating system on the SSD using the recovery media.

Let me know how it goes.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@dinman68

I reviewed your post and I understand that the new SSD is not getting detected on the computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you update the BIOS from the below link before installing the new SSD.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp107501-108000/sp107537.exe

Once you receive the new hard drive connect and check whether is getting detected in BIOS. If the hard drive is not getting detected then remove the original SATA drive and connect only the SSD and check whether the computer boots normally.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for responding back to me. It is funny you brought up the BIOS thing, as Samsung C/S asked me if the BIOS was updated and I said yes at that time because I check for updates almost every time I am on my Laptop and I figured BIOS would be updated as well. After I sent my new SSD to Samsung I decided to search how to find what version of BIOS I had and found out that I had an older version, so I updated the BIOS. Now as you read I am waiting for the SSD to be returned. I hope that is what the problem was. At the same time, I cant believe that either Windows update or HP Support Assistant update search don't fine and update something like that. So when I get the SSD back I will do what you suggested and will get back on here and update you. 

Thank you again

dinman68 

HP Recommended

Thank you for keeping us posted

Drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ok this is a update from I first post: I received my SSD Hard Drive back from Samsung with no problems with the Hard Drive after they did a check on it. So I opened laptop back up and connected to my laptop again, I got the same message as the first time and the reason I sent the first message here. So I did what The_Fossette suggested and took out the original M-2 Hard Drive and just had the the new SSD plugged in and this is the message I got when I turned it on. ( Boot Device Not Found, please install an operating system on your Hard Drive. Hard Disk  3f0) So I put the original back in and Laptop booted right up with no problems. I left the SSD in place so I can see what you may suggest? 

Please let me know what you think I should do next? Should I just get the same kind of M-2 hard drive and just add more storage? I need more one way or another for school.

Thank you

dinman68

HP Recommended

@dinman68

• Do you have an operating system on the SSD?
  • Have you tried cloning the Hard drive to the SSD?

Meanwhile, I want you to make sure that the SSD is getting detected in the BIOS and install the operating system on the SSD using the recovery media.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

To answer both questions,

No and No,

This is a new SSD that I want to use as a second Hard Drive. I want to use the original HD as my Operating System and the SSD to save all my VM's that I have to build for collage. And just to save anything I want to save. I'm new to all this, so I don't know what I'm doing. I'm sure that is obvious. Can you give me direction where I can go like a site or email or anything to follow to get this up and running. I really thought all I had to do is plug it in and the computer would do the rest with me following along and clicking, but when I turn it on it don't show up in Bios or  Disk Management, so I figured it isn't that easy.

Again, I have no clue what I'm doing and would really appreciate a step by step to follow to get this up and running. Again, I want to have both drives. Original one to hold the operating System  and the Second to use for everything else.

dinman68

HP Recommended

@dinman68

If the SSD is not getting detected in the BIOS then it may not be supported on your computer. However, I recommend you contact support and check once.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I just wanted to say I have not figured out what the problem is and why I am not able to add a new Samsung SSD to my Laptop as a second Hard drive, but wanted to say thank you for trying to help me. This is very frustrating as my laptop has the space to add this SSD drive but for whatever the reason is,  it just won't work for me. I will keep trying and hopefully I can get it to work before I start my next qtr of collage. I really need the extra space for school. I wish when I talked to HP when I ordered this new laptop and had it built I had known I needed more then 512gb of space cause I would of ordered it with more. I also needed more memory and I was able to upgrade it from 16 to 32 myself with little to no problems. I'm new to needing my laptop for more then everyday use so when I ordered and had HP upgrade a few things I didn't know I needed more memory and space.  Live and learn I guess.

Thank you again,

dinman68

HP Recommended

Last update. I was finally able to get my SSD to show and work on this Laptop. The problem was the Cable that I bought was not the right one for this Laptop. I found a company in California that made and tested the cable for this Laptop. I plugged it in, turned it on, and the Laptop did all the updates on it's own, and now I have my second HD. I really wish HP made it easier to order and buy parts for the Laptops they sell. It is very hard to find Parts for this Laptop and HP does not make it easy at all.

dinman68  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.