Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360-001ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I am sure that most people will not encounter a problem with the keyboard on HP Pavilion x360 13 models. So this is not meant in any way as a critique, I simply want to know if I can replace my keyboard. I have been using my HP Pavilion laptop (HP Pavilion x360 13-001ng, German layout) for the past 4 weeks. For the past week I have pain in my left hand due to typing on this laptop. I touch type, and I am writing and researching for over 10 hours a day on my laptop. I mostly write and type in English. The biggest issue I have is the key travel/resistance. Currently, I am coping by connecting an external keyboard (UK layout) which luckily fits over the laptop keyboard. I am considering if I should change the keyboard on my laptop which would have a better key travel.

In one of the forum questions, there was a suggestion that any "island" keyboard can be used. I was wondering if any would have a suggestion on suitable alternatives to the keyboard? What is the HP Spectre x360's keyboard like in comparison to the HP Pavilion x360? I know that its unlikely but can I replace my keyboard on the HP Pavilion x360 with a traditional HP keyboard (not island keyboard)?

Many thanks for your help and time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No sorry. Laptops are designed as integrated units. The keyboard you have is the keyboard made for that laptop and the only one that would fit and work. Sometimes you can upgrade to a backlit version but the key mechanics would be the same. I definitely feel your pain and actually keep an old pre-Lenovo IBM Thinkpad around for pure typing. Nothing any better ever made for typing, although some of the HP business laptops from the same era come pretty close. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

No sorry. Laptops are designed as integrated units. The keyboard you have is the keyboard made for that laptop and the only one that would fit and work. Sometimes you can upgrade to a backlit version but the key mechanics would be the same. I definitely feel your pain and actually keep an old pre-Lenovo IBM Thinkpad around for pure typing. Nothing any better ever made for typing, although some of the HP business laptops from the same era come pretty close. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your advice. I really miss the old Thinkpad keyboard actually.  For me unfortunately, I find that I get eye strain with low res screen.

As I cant replace the keyboard (it was a happy thought), I have a work around which I am going to try.  I am going to disconnect the trackpad and keyboard and I have found an external mini keyboard which has much better keytravel over it. I think it will work, and if its not comfortable then I will consider getting an old Thinkpad...

Many thanks for all your help and time again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.