Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion _ Ce0508sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there, 

I see that many other people on this forum are experiencing the same issue and I would really appreciate help or guidance.  

My laptop was my first ever big 'adult' purchase, so it has been handled with absolute care (more than I care to admit).
Winter 2020, I opened my laptop carefully and the black frame mounted around the screen popped out on the bottom left corner. The hinge on the left is now giving way,  causing stress to the other hinge on the right. It now appears that it could at any moment release the screen. I am now unable to move the laptop screen from the 90-degree angle and unable to close the laptop together, which is causing huge problems as it no longer can be travelled. (Which was one of the reasons for purchasing my laptop....)

However, my laptop is over a year old so that means the warranty is out. 

My brother, who works in IT dealing with software/manufacturing issues, had a look at my laptop for me and showed me how this was very clearly a design fault, and he recommended that I get in touch with HP as they should be aware of this fault so should be more than happy to help. So I rang up and spoke to an HP representative and I explained everything thoroughly and precisely, not missing out on any key information. They told me that they are finding this to be a common manufacturing defect which many are facing (evident when you type in this model/make on this site or on Google) and that they would need me to send evidence of the fault. I was more than happy to send pictures and videos, so I sent them over as soon as the phone call ended. The reply I received told me they believe it was 'accidental damage' caused by myself so I would have to pay to get it repaired, which is hundreds of pounds.
Stunned by the reply, I felt defeated. I went through the story again and was met with a disgruntled sigh, explaining how it appeared to be damage I caused to my laptop and again that I would need to pay for it.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm very disappointed, actually miffed off would be the correct term (that's the watered-down version) that HP sold me a laptop with this known issue. If you type in "hinge screen issue" on this forum or Google you can see that this is a very common problem. 

I have had to use a 'temporary' measure, such as using tape to put around the frame on the outside. To think that I spent £649 on this laptop, handled with such care and attention for it now to be broken, a complete eyesore, and for the screen to be completely unmovable, leaving it at a 90-degree angle and completely untravelable is such a stab in the back. Especially as it was no fault of my own!

Taking no responsibility for this manufacturing fault has left a very poor taste in my mouth, and the customer service I received was truly atrocious.  I can not begin to express my disappointment with what has happened and I can only recommend that you stay away from HP products.
I will not be rushing to buy HP products again that's for sure. 

Has anyone who has/had this issue manage to get it corrected?  Help please!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

MilHome I'm sorry to not have a solution but I have the exact same problem with my laptop!!! Have you rang citizens advice? 

HP Recommended

Hi Dot

No worries, hate to hear that you too are in the same position. 

I have not yet, no. But is it worth giving them a call yeah?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Yes give them a call if no one gets back to you.   I rang Citizens Advice who said that through the UK Consumer Rights Act 2015, I have rights and I should report it to my local trading standards department. I am currently in the process of doing this.

I will never be purchasing a HP laptop ever again.  It should be recalled. If this was a washing machine or a car it would have been by now!!!! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.