Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY - 15-as106nb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello , i have my HP Envy as106-nb , the windows 10 is clean installed and i have only Chrome in a backround with only 8gb of ram because the other slot who had 4go is dead.

So i want to know if those temp are normal , because my fan is often running loud and making often noise so its a little bit boring.

The fan is clean.

Should i change the termal paste ?

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Screws1,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

To determine whether the temperatures you're experiencing are normal and whether changing the thermal paste might be beneficial, we need to consider a few factors about laptop temperatures, usage, and maintenance. Generally, the normal operating temperature range for laptops is between 40°C to 80°C (104°F to 176°F), though this can vary depending on the model, usage, and conditions.

High-Performance Tasks: If you're running high-performance tasks, such as gaming or video editing, it's normal for temperatures to spike, causing the fans to work harder and produce more noise.

Ambient Temperature: The environment where you use the laptop also plays a significant role. Higher ambient temperatures can cause the laptop to heat up more quickly.

Thermal Paste: Over time, thermal paste can dry out and become less effective at transferring heat from the CPU to the heatsink. If your laptop is a few years old and has never had a change of thermal paste, doing so could improve thermal performance. However, this usually requires a decent level of technical skill or professional help, as it involves disassembling the laptop.

Background Processes: Even with only Chrome running, depending on the number of tabs and what those tabs are doing, it can be surprisingly resource-intensive. Plus, there might be background processes you're not aware of. Use the Task Manager to check CPU and memory usage to see if there's unusual activity.

RAM: Having only 8GB of RAM where part of it is dedicated to system tasks can cause your system to rely more on the pagefile (virtual memory), which is slower and can increase CPU load, thus increasing heat. However, this is less likely to be a direct cause of overheating unless the system is under heavy load.

Fan and Vent Cleaning: You mentioned that the fan is clean, which is great. However, also ensure that the vents are clear of obstructions and that there's good airflow around the laptop. Sometimes, using a laptop on soft surfaces (like a bed or lap) can block vents.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Screws1,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

To determine whether the temperatures you're experiencing are normal and whether changing the thermal paste might be beneficial, we need to consider a few factors about laptop temperatures, usage, and maintenance. Generally, the normal operating temperature range for laptops is between 40°C to 80°C (104°F to 176°F), though this can vary depending on the model, usage, and conditions.

High-Performance Tasks: If you're running high-performance tasks, such as gaming or video editing, it's normal for temperatures to spike, causing the fans to work harder and produce more noise.

Ambient Temperature: The environment where you use the laptop also plays a significant role. Higher ambient temperatures can cause the laptop to heat up more quickly.

Thermal Paste: Over time, thermal paste can dry out and become less effective at transferring heat from the CPU to the heatsink. If your laptop is a few years old and has never had a change of thermal paste, doing so could improve thermal performance. However, this usually requires a decent level of technical skill or professional help, as it involves disassembling the laptop.

Background Processes: Even with only Chrome running, depending on the number of tabs and what those tabs are doing, it can be surprisingly resource-intensive. Plus, there might be background processes you're not aware of. Use the Task Manager to check CPU and memory usage to see if there's unusual activity.

RAM: Having only 8GB of RAM where part of it is dedicated to system tasks can cause your system to rely more on the pagefile (virtual memory), which is slower and can increase CPU load, thus increasing heat. However, this is less likely to be a direct cause of overheating unless the system is under heavy load.

Fan and Vent Cleaning: You mentioned that the fan is clean, which is great. However, also ensure that the vents are clear of obstructions and that there's good airflow around the laptop. Sometimes, using a laptop on soft surfaces (like a bed or lap) can block vents.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.