Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power - 15-cb031ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear forum folk,

I Hit the ON Button on my laptop and all of a sudden I get B90 ERROR message.

"The system has detected that a cooling fan is not operating correctly.
Continued operation is not recommended and may cause unpredictable behavior that could result in random shutdown, data loss or possible system damage. The system will shut down in 15 seconds. To prevent shutdown and continue operation, press the Enter key now.
System Fan (90b)"

I had to start the machine nevertheless to get this message out and google for fixes.

My deeds and observations so far:
-cleaned the 2 fans and "cooling ridges" with pressured air
-all drivers are up to date
-bios is up to date, fans are set to always on in bios as recommended
- checked all plugs to be connected properly, which they were and are!

However on booting my laptop, 2 fans start spinning at max rate. Then 1 of the 2 suddenly stops and won't spin ever again (unless it is during booting process), even under "high workload".

The other fan is working completely normal spinning at ~2000 RPM.
These are both original factory preset fans.

Inked20200516_150045_LI.jpg

By the way, it is the one with the red X that is not working properly or at all!
Any suggestions? Is it  a Software issue or a Hardware issue and I have to replace the fan?!

Cheers, TOBITO
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Tobito

The part number is 926875-001. For more info, you may refer to page 44 of the service guide.

You may order it online or buy it from a local store if available. The stickers are not for customer use, it is used at HP service centers.

Both the fans should be in a working state. The information on which fan is used for what is not available.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Tobito, Welcome to the HP Support Community! I’m here to help.

I understand you are getting the 90b error. Kindly refer to this document - 900, 909, 90A, 90B, 90F Error Displays on a Black Screen

If the issue persists, I'm afraid it is a hardware failure. Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service/replacement options. 

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar0307,

thank you for your reply to my B90 fan problem.

However, I already followed the suggestions from your linked document https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03620929 as stated in my opening thread. Except for the hard reset, because it is such high effort without a guarantee, solving my B90 error. Since my device unfortunately already is out of warranty, contacting HP support by opening a case was not the option of my choice; that is why I started a thread here.

Now, if I understand you correctly, replacing the faulty fan is the only option to solve the B90 issue.

Maybe you can help me as well with the various numbers printed on the sticker on the fan and what they mean.

For example on my fan it says:

Service PN 930589-001
DTA47G75TP003BGD294     18

and a QR-which I cannot scan or atleast will not get any results doing so. So what do these numbers mean and do they all have to match, when looking for and finally buying a replacement fan?

Furthermore, which fan provides cooling to which part of my hardware. Is the faulty fan responsible for cooling my CPU or my GPU?!

Cheers, TOBITO

HP Recommended

@Tobito

The part number is 926875-001. For more info, you may refer to page 44 of the service guide.

You may order it online or buy it from a local store if available. The stickers are not for customer use, it is used at HP service centers.

Both the fans should be in a working state. The information on which fan is used for what is not available.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Alright, thank you for clarifying.

It is interesting though, that there are different numbers for the same product, which is quite confusing. I ordered a replacement fan according to the part number after all.

Thank you so far, for your help, and I may come back to you when I got the fan installed.

Hope it all works out fine and we can close this topic, which will remain open for now.

Cheers, TOBITO

HP Recommended

@Tobito

Sure, keep us posted for any other assistance. Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Tobito

i see your post with the current/EDP power limit throttling 

i have the same notebook that you have and i have te same problem

did you solve the problem with the power throttling? 

thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.